BRISTOL, Tenn. – Coming fresh off a third place finish at the NWCA National Duals, the King University women's wrestling team dominated their home open with 12 finalists. Aleeah Gould, Cheyenne Sisenstein, Allison Petix, Ashlynn Ortega and Nia Crosdale all won their perspective weight classes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 109 pounds Gould won both of her first matches by fall to make the finals. Gould continued her streak into the finals with a win by technical fall.
- At 123 pounds Cheyenne Sisenstein and Phoenix Dubose both made the finals. Sisenstein received a forfeit then won two matches by fall in less than a minute. Dubose picked up two tech falls and a decision. Sisenstein won the final match by technical fall.
- Petix had a flawless day at 130 pounds. Her first match she won by fall in one minute. She won each of her last three matches by technical fall by a score of 10-0. This includes her finals win.
- At 136 pounds Alyssa Aceval went 3-1 on the day, including two solid decisions by scores of 10-1 and 10-3. She fell short in the finals by a close score of 10-6 to take second.
- At 143 pounds we have another Tornado duo in the finals. Ashlynn Ortega went 4-0 on the day, including one first period fall. Ana Luciano won 3 straight, including a pin in 21 seconds to make the finals. Ortega would take the last match by a score of 6-0.
- Hailey Cancelleri went 2-1 on the day, including a win by technical fall. She would medical forfeit out of the finals to take second.
- At 191 we have yet another duo in the finals. Both women showed up to beat higher-ranked wrestlers. Nia Crosdale was seeded third, but picked up a huge win in the semifinals by criteria. Tavi Heidelberg was unseeded but didn't hesitate today. She knocks off the fourth seed by tech fall and the second seed by pin. Nia would go on to win the finals 2-1.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
130 - Allison Petix 5-0, 1st
136 - Alyssa Aceval 3-1, 2nd
155 - Hailey Cancelleri 2-1, 2nd
170 - Jordyn Godin 1-2
- The Tornado go back to action at Limestone College on January 30 at 7:00 p.m.