BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's wrestling team have moved into the semifinals of this year's NWCA National Duals. The Tornado cashed in two dual wins today. The first was over Schreiner University by a score of 34-6 and the second was another commanding win over No. 6 Ganon University, final score 37-6.
FINAL SCORE: #3 King 34, Schreiner 6; #3 King 37, #6 Gannon 6
LOCATION: Freedom Hall; Louisville, Ky
RECORDS: King 8-0
HOW IT HAPPENED – SCHREINER UNIVERSITY
- The Tornado gave the bulk of its points early by losing their first and only match of the day, but the remaining eight matches would be all King.
- At 116, 123 and 130 pounds Aleeah Gould, Cheyenne Sisenstein and Allison Petix all scored big with a first period wins by fall, granting King a strong 15-5 lead. Some have been calling them the "win by pin trio".
- Alyssa Aceval put together a strong performance at 136 pounds by winning 8-0 and increasing the Tornado lead.
- At 143 and 155 pounds, Ashlynn Ortega and Ana Luciano both won by technical fall.
- Hailey Cancelleri won a decision at 170 pounds to build the Tornado lead to 29-6.
- Nia Crosdale finished the dual with another pin for the Tornado.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GANNON UNIVERSITY
- Lesly Hernandez received a forfeit at 109 pounds to get the Tornado rolling.
- The "win by pin" trio composed of Gould, Sisenstein and Petix all take first period wins by fall, AGAIN, prompting a score of 20-0.
- At 136 pounds Aceval continued the Tornado dominance with a 10-0 win by technical fall.
- Ortega was absolutely unstoppable in her second match of the day. She took the win by pin in 53 seconds.
- Luciano also scored maximum team points at 155 pounds with a second period win by fall.
- Crosdale would close the dual for King with a win by decision at 170 pounds.
- King competes tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. against No. 2 Simon Fraser University at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Ky.