BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball posted their sixth straight sweep at home on Saturday afternoon with a 3-0 triumph over Converse College. The Tornado hit over .300 as a team and posted eight blocks in their victory over the Valkyries.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Converse 0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-14)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-8, 9-3 Conference Carolinas; Converse 9-19, 5-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Julie Ward got the Tornado offense off to a hot start with seven kills in the opening set.
- The Tornado used a 6-1 run to gain control and take an 11-5 lead in the opening set.
- A block from Brittney Ramsey and Tristyn Lozano gave King a chance at set point, and Ward cam up with a kill for the 25-17 victory.
- King improved their play on both ends of the court in the second set, holding the Valkyries to a .000 attack percentage while the Tornado hit .355 as a team.
- Lozano led the attack, posting four kills in the set while Ward added three terminations.
- A 4-0 run, capped by a Keri Ricker kill gave the Tornado control of the set at 19-12.
- Ward later gave King the 25-19 win with a service ace.
- The Tornado defense improved in the third set, holding Converse to a -.143 attack percentage while the King offense again hit .355.
- Lozano and Ramsey led the offense with four kills each while Ramsey added three blocks.
- Another Ward ace force a Converse timeout with King leading 14-8 and on a 5-1 run.
- The spurt concluded at 7-1 following a pair of Lozano kills that put the Tornado ahead 16-8.
- King the cruised to the 25-14 win for the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with 13 kills and 15 digs while hitting .310.
- Lozano followed with 10 kills and 10 digs.
- Ramsey posted nine kills with an attack percentage of .692. She also added six blocks, two solo.
- Kayley Holtzclaw hit .500 with eight kills and added one solo stuff.
- Ricker handed out 37 assists and added five digs and two blocks.
- Sydney Pigage posted 11 digs from the back row.
FOR THE FOES
- Alexis Pitts led Converse with seven kills while Brittany Tepedino followed with five kills.
- Elizabeth Yohe posted a team-high 14 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King has now swept their last six matches at home and has won their last 20 sets in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado have only lost one set at home all season.
- Ward posted her 11th double-double of the season.
- Lozano's double-double is her sixth of the season.
- King travels to North Greenville University on Wednesday. First serve from Tigerville, S.C. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Converse travels to the University of Mount Olive on Wednesday night.