BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team continued their hot play, sweeping Conference Carolinas West Division-leading Emmanuel College. The first set went to extra points before the Tornado pulled away to take the final two sets behind 18 kills from Julie Ward.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 0 (27-25, 25-16, 25-13)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-7, 6-3 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 10-10, 6-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions came out and looked to gain control early, opening up a 14-9 lead to five a King timeout after Emmanuel scored five straight points.
- The King deficit grew to 16-9 before Ward got going, ending the Lion run with a kill.
- King chipped away at the deficit and used a 4-0 run capped by blocks from Brittney Ramsey and Tristyn Lozano and Ramsey and Keri Ricker to even the score at 19.
- With King trailing by three, Ward registered a pair of kills, evening the score back at 23.
- Kayley Holtzclaw gave King a chance at set point when Ward served up an ace to give King the 27-25 victory.
- Remi Thele and Lozano gave King a 12-7 lead in the second set with back-to-back kills that force a Lion timeout.
- The Tornado offense kept clicking as they hit .300 in the set with 11 kills.
- Holtzclaw came up with a kill and Ward with another ace before a Lion miscue gave King the 25-16 victory.
- The Tornado put the match away early in the third set, scoring the first four points on a 12-2 spurt that saw Emmanuel use both of their timeouts.
- Ward had three kills on the run and Rebekah Hill capped the run with an ace.
- The Tornado hit .258 in their 25-13 victory that gave King the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led the Tornado with 18 kills, 10 coming in the first set. She also hit .400 in the match and added seven digs.
- Lozano followed with seven kills and 10 digs.
- Thele chipped in with six kills and four blocks while Holtzclaw added five kills and five blocks.
- Ricker handed out 29 assists to go along with six digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Jessica Gray led Emmanuel with 12 kills and five digs.
- Stephanie Hardy handed out 30 assists and Aysha Avery posted 16 digs.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they host Erskine College at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Emmanuel travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday.