BARBOURVILLE, Ky. – In their final tune-up before the Conference Carolinas Championships, the King University women's team put together a pair of wins on Saturday. The Tornado defeated Union College (Ky.) 173-74 and Milligan College 172-81 in a meet that was highlighted by a school record from Ashley Woods.
FINAL SCORE: King 173, Union 74; King 172, Milligan 81
LOCATION: Barbourville, Ky.
RECORD: King 9-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Woods led the way, setting the school record in the 1650 yard freestyle, winning the event with a time of 18:05.05.
- In the 200 yard freestyle, Madi Matthews set a personal record with a time of 1:59.65 to win the event.
- Gwen Haag also set a personal record, finishing the 100 yard breaststroke in 1:10.91 to finish runner-up by less than 0.5 seconds.
- The 400 yard medley relay team of Steph Dansie, Samantha Davis, Nicola Mead and Mattews finished first with a time of 4:12.39.
- The Tornado took the top two spots in the 200 yard butterfly with Dansie touching the wall first in 2:15.01. Mead came in next at 2:17.21.
- Davis won the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 25.72 seconds while Brooke Williams came in third at 26.26 seconds.
- Matthews won the 100 yard freestyle, touching the all in 55.43 seconds.
- In the 200 yard backstroke, Woods came up with another win, finishing in 2:14.13.
- Jayne Wolbert won the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 5:40.97 while Alexia Autrey came in third at 6:03.96.
- In the 100 yard backstroke, Mead touched the wall in 1:02.92 to win the event while Michelle Morlock finished third at 1:05.85.
- Dansie came in with another win in the 200 yard individual medley with a time of 2:16.86.
- The 400 yard freestyle team of Mead, Dansie, Woods and Matthews finished first with a time of 3:48.73.
"Another great day of racing for our women's team to finish the year with a program best 9-2 record," head coach James Graves said. "We are starting to swim fast and had a number of season best times and a few lifetime best swims today; along with another school record for Ashley Woods in the 1650 freestyle. Ten more days until conference begins and I am looking forward to seeing more great racing."
- The Tornado compete next at the Conference Carolinas Championships at the Mecklenburg Municipal Pool in Charlotte, N.C. The meet starts on February 13 and concludes on February 16.