KINGSPORT, Tenn. – The King University women's swimming started their season by hosting the King Invitational where the Tornado finished third. Ashley Woods led the way, setting a school record in the 1650 yard freestyle.
KING RESULTS: 3rd of 9
LOCATION: Kingsport Aquatic Center; Kingsport, Tenn.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Woods set the school record with a 1650 yard freestyle time of 18:38.79, giving her a third place finish.
- On Friday, the 200 yard freestyle relay team of Samantha Davis, Nicola Mead, Brooke Williams and Madi Matthews finished fourth with a time of 1:43.00.
- On Friday, Woods finished fourth in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 5:23.06.
- Steph Dansie finished 12th in the 200 yard individual medley with a time of 2:20.80, while Macarena Martin Mayor finished 15th at 2:24.01.
- In the 50 yard freestyle, Matthews finished fifth with a time of 25.18 seconds while Williams finished in 26.23 seconds.
- The 800 yard relay team of Woods, Dansie, Matthews and Mead finished second with a time of 8:19.38.
- On Saturday, the 400 yard medley relay team of Davis, Martin Mayor, Mead and Matthews finished in 4:16.42.
- Davis came in ninth in the 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:13.04 while Gwen Haag finished 12th at 1:15.27.
- In the 100 yard butterfly, Mead finished in 1:02.05 to take sixth while Dansie finished 12th in 1:04.27.
- Woods came in eighth in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 2:03.37.
- Dansie came in 10th with a 100 yard backstroke time of 1:04.99.
- Woods later touched the wall in the 200 yard backstroke in 2:20:14 to finished eighth, and Martin Mayor finished 11th in 2:21.77.
- Matthews finished fifth in the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 55.73 seconds.
- In the 100 yard breaststroke, Martin Mayor finished ninth in 2:39.57.
"I would like to thank all the swimmers, coaches, officials, and volunteers for making the first King Invitational a success," King head coach James Graves said. "Our swimmers competed hard and showed great sportsmanship despite a grueling schedule for the first meet of the year. We had some strong early season swims and I am excited to get back to the pool and work on some things. We have a ways to go to become a true team, but this was a good first step."
- King is in action again on Saturday at Converse College where they will take on the Valkyries and Emmanuel College.