BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's soccer team returned home to take on Chowan University. However, the Hawks scored a pair of goals early in the first half and the Tornado couldn't recover. King scored late in the first half, but couldn't find the back of the net in the second half as Chowan took the contest 2-1.
FINAL SCORE: Chowan 2, King 1
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-7, 1-5 Conference Carolinas; 3-6-2, 3-3-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It didn't take the Hawks long to grab the lead as they score off of a corner kick from Stephanie Quintanilla.
- Shannon Park got a head on the ball in front of the net before Lillian DeLucca put the ball into the back of the net.
- Each team had a shot over the next 10 minutes, with Meghan O'Ferral's sailing wide for the Tornado and Erin Foster coming up with a save for the Tornado.
- Chowan stretched their lead to 2-0 when Carolina Lucci scored on an assist from Karissa Grooms in the 27th minute.
- The score remained the same until the final minute of the first half when Erin Peters found McKenzie Clarke who buried her shot into the back of the net, pulling King within 2-1 at the break.
- Peters threatened to even the score three minutes into the second half, but her shot was turned away.
- Chowan had four shots in a four-minute stretch, but three were off target and the other was saved by Foster.
- O'Ferral tried to even the score in the 79th minute, but her attempt was saved by the Hawk goalkeeper.
- King couldn't muster another opportunity after that as Chowan took the contest 2-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took eight shots in the contest, four on frame and earned two corner kicks.
- Foster made five saves in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- The Hawks placed seven of their 16 shots on target and earned two corner kicks.
- Lynzie Hulle made three saves in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Clarke is her third of the season and fourth of her career.
- King travels to Southern Wesleyan University on Tuesday. Kickoff from Central, S.C. is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
- Chowan in action again on Tuesday at the University of Mount Olive.