RALEIGH, N.C. – The King University women's soccer team took to the road to take on Shaw University on Tuesday afternoon. The Tornado fell behind in the first half, and couldn't complete a comeback in the second half, falling to the Bears 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: Shaw 3, King 1
LOCATION: The MAC; Raleigh, N.C.
RECORDS: King 3-3; Shaw 2-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bears controlled play in the early going, taking four shots and earning one corner kick in the opening 25 minutes.
- Shaw's first attempt of the game, in the fifth minute, beat the keeper, but went off the post.
- Megan Brody had the first scoring chance for the Tornado, ripped a shot high in the 16th minute.
- Shaw broke through in the 35th minute when Fenja Soeth found the right corner of the net.
- King earned a corner kick in the 39th minute, and Tyler Feaster ripped a shot that was saved in the 40th minute as the Tornado trailed 1-0 at the half.
- The Bear lead stretched to 2-0 in the 57th minute when Shaw's Jasa Curry placed a shot into the left corner of the net.
- King was quick to answer, however, as McKenzie Clarke ripped a shot that found the back of the net in the 63rd minute.
- However, Curry added another goal in the 72nd minute, extending the Shaw lead to 3-1.
- The Tornado offense couldn't get anything going the rest of the way as the Bears took the game 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took six shots in the game, four in the second half and three on goal.
- The Bears posted 10 shots, five on frame.
- King had the edge in corner kicks, taking three to Shaw's two.
FOR THE FOES
- Shianne Duplantis made two saves in goal for the Bears.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they travel to Barton College. Kickoff from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
- Shaw travels to Converse College on Thursday.