MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University men's wrestling team picked up a much-needed win today against the University of Mount Olive. The Tornado was led by Matthew Danner, Jacob Wynn and Camden Buckingham, all put together very strong wins by technical fall or pin. These performances paved the way for a solid 29-17 victory for King.
FINAL SCORE: King University 29, Mount Olive 17
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena ; Mount Olive, Nc.
RECORDS: King 2-4, Mount Olive 5-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Buckingham cashed in the first win for the Tornado at 174 pounds by a score of 20-4 for a second period win by technical fall.
- At 184 pounds Danner wasted absolutely no time getting to his attack. With an almost immediate takedown, he continued to push the pace and build his lead to finish with a win by fall in the third period.
- After a pair of forfeits and a close heavyweight match, Elijah Hicks squeezes out an incredibly close overtime win at 133 pounds.
- Wynn found his offense this weekend too. At 141 pounds Wynn punished his opponent for a 17-1 win by technical fall.
- Riley Alderman also made a huge appearance for the Tornado. At 149 pounds he picked up the major decision by a score of 18-7.
- Final score: King 29, Mount Olive 17
- The Tornado will compete Friday at Lander University where they will face Emmanuel College and host Lander starting at 4:00 p.m.