ROANOKE, Va. – The King University men's wrestling team opened up their regular season at the Southeast Open. The Tornado was led by Cade Ridley taking fourth and Tony Morales making the finals with three pins.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morales made a huge appearance this year on his way to the finals. He wins four straight, three of which were pins in the first period. He also managed to knock off conference rival Newberry for a great look at the 165-pound regional rankings.
- Heavyweight Ridley also made the podium for King, finishing the day 2-2 overall. He picked up a pair of nice wins early but was unable to finish the journey to the finals He would manage fourth on the day.
- At 125 pounds Rylee Billings grabbed a pair of wins, one of which was a dominate 15-0 victory over the University of Mount Olive. But a close 5-1 decision to UNC would stop him short of the podium this year.
- Also for the Tornado Colin Leonard and Austin Kolikas picked up big wins, scoring valuable team points for King.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125lbs – Rylee Billings 2-2
133lbs – Austin Kolikas 1-2
133lbs – Elijah Hicks 0-2
133lbs – Colin Leonard 1-2
165lbs – Tony Morales 4-1, 2nd
165lbs – Elijah Hicks 0-2
174lbs – Camden Buckingham 0-2
174lbs – William Seymore 0-2
185lbs – Cade Ridley 2-2, 4th
- Wednesday, November 13 at 7:00 p.m., the Tornado return to action at home against Cumberland University.