TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team closed the regular season on a high note, defeating North Greenville University 85-71. The Tornado posted their best shooting night of the season and had five scorers in double figures in the victory.
FINAL: King 85, North Greenville 71
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 16-12, 13-9 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 13-14, 10-12 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a hot start, shooting 50.0 percent from the floor in the opening period.
- The Tornado held an 11-9 lead with two minutes remaining before a Trinity Lee basket ignited the King offense.
- Over the final two minutes, King outscored North Greenville 12-0 as a Kiki Samsel basket gave King a 23-9 lead going into the second quarter.
- A Lee triple in the opening minute extended the King lead to 26-10 before the Crusaders started to chip away at their deficit.
- The Crusaders scored seven straight points, pulling within 26-17 and later 28-19 before King went on another run.
- King scored 10 of the next 11 points to open up a 38-20 lead following a Samsel trifecta.
- The King lead grew to 19 before the Crusaders scored the final basket of the half, giving King a 43-26 lead at the break.
- Ali Golden gave King a 51-30 lead four minutes into the second half before the Crusaders made a mini run to pull within 53-40 with three minutes remaining in the quarter.
- The Tornado lead was trimmed to 57-45 before King closed the quarter on an 8-0 run, capped by a Golden triple at the buzzer to give King a 65-45 lead going to the fourth quarter.
- North Greenville made a run in the fourth quarter, but the Tornado held off the surge to take the contest 85-71.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King shot 54.0 percent from the floor and 52.9 percent from three-point range in the win.
- Kori West led five King scorers in double figures with 22 points to go along with eight rebounds.
- Arielle Holloway and Lee followed with 18 points each while Samsel added 16.
- Golden chipped in with 11 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Peace Okeke led North Greenville with 32 points and 14 rebounds.
- Karen Donehew and Savannah Hughes added 10 points each.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 54.0 field goal percentage is the best of the season for the Tornado, and their second game shooting better than 50 percent.
- King shot better than 50 percent from three for the first time this season.
- King will be the sixth seed in the Conference Carolinas Women's Basketball Championship and will travel to third seed Emmanuel College on Tuesday night. Tipoff from Franklin Springs, Ga., is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Seventh-seeded North Greenville will travel to second seed Barton College on Tuesday night.