FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University women's basketball team got off to a hot start and led at Emmanuel College after each of the first three quarters. However, the Lions outscored the Tornado by just enough in the final three stanzas to take the 62-60 victory.
FINAL: Emmanuel 62, King 60
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 12-12, 9-9 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 17-7, 14-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a great start, using an 8-0 run to open up a 12-2 lead in the first four minutes.
- Late in the period, Symantha Fugate knocked down a three-point basket that gave King their largest lead of the half at 23-8.
- However, the Lions scored the final six points, cutting the King lead to 25-14 after the opening 10 minutes.
- Emmanuel cut their deficit to seven, but King came back with six consecutive points.
- A Kori West layup gave King a 33-20 lead midway through the period.
- Just as Emmanuel did in the first quarter, the closed the half on a run.
- The Lions scored the final 10 points of the period, cutting the King lead to 33-30 at the half.
- Emmanuel continued their run in the third quarter, evening the score and taking a 36-35 lead four minutes into the quarter.
- King regained the lead before Emmanuel scored seven straight points to open up a 43-37 lead before Amaya Lee drilled a triple.
- It was King's turn to close the quarter on a run, scoring seven of the final eight points of the period.
- Trinity Lee scored the final five points, giving the Tornado a 47-46 lead going to the fourth quarter.
- Kiki Samsel made the first basket of the final period, extending the King lead to 49-46.
- King later held a 51-48 lead before five straight Lion points put Emmanuel on top.
- Another Fritz trifecta and Ali Golden jump shot gave King a 58-55 lead with 2:49 remaining, but the Lions had one last run.
- Emmanuel scored seven straight points to take a 62-58 lead with five seconds remaining.
- King made a basket as time expired, but it wasn't enough as Emmanuel won the game 62-60.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- West led King with 14 points and 19 rebounds.
- Fritz and Trinity lee followed with 11 points each. Fritz grabbed six rebounds and Lee four.
- After shooting 63.2 percent from the floor in the opening period, King shot 35.3 percent in the game.
FOR THE FOES
- Emmanuel was led by 23 points and six rebounds from Breanna Locke.
- Jazmin Allen followed with nine points while Valeriya Pokrovskaya chipped in with eight points.
- Ajah Taylor added seven points and 11 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 19 rebounds for West set a season-high.
- King returns home for senior day on Saturday. The Tornado will take on Chowan University at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Emmanuel hosts Limestone College on Saturday.