BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team fell to perennial Conference Carolinas power Limestone College on Saturday afternoon. The afternoon started slow for the Tornado, and the Saints got off to a hot start, taking the 80-64 victory.
FINAL: Limestone 80, King 64
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-8, 6-5 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 14-5, 9-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone scored the game's first seven points and opened up a 13-2 lead before King called for timeout three minutes into the contest.
- The King deficit grew to 24-6 before Arielle Holloway scored five straight points.
- Ryleigh Fritz made a layup, cutting the Tornado deficit to 27-13 after the first period.
- Limestone shot 73.3 percent in the opening 10 minutes while holding King to a 35.3 percentage.
- The King defense dug in a little in the second quarter, holding Limestone to a 35.0 field goal percentage, but the Tornado offense couldn't find a rhythm on the other end of the floor.
- King scored the first six points of the period, pulling within 27-17 of the Saints following a Kori West layup in the opening two minutes.
- However, the Saints outscored King 17-5 the rest of the quarter, including a triple to beat the halftime buzzer and take a 44-24 lead at the break.
- King scored the first five points of the second half, cutting their deficit to 44-29 following a pair of Holloway free throws, but the Saints answered with a triple.
- Limestone stretched their lead to as many as 23 at 58-35 as they shot 53.3 percent in the period.
- The Saints again beat the buzzer, taking a 67-46 lead into the final quarter.
- A triple early in the quarter gave Limestone their largest lead of the night at 70-46.
- King tried to work their way back, but Limestone answered each time King tried to go on a run.
- The Saints went on to take the contest 80-64.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ali Golden led King with 19 points while Fritz followed ith 11 points.
- Holloway chipped in with 10 points and four rebounds while West added eight points and eight rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Schekina Bimpa led Limestone with 21 points and 14 rebounds.
- Quin Byrd followed with 20 points, six rebounds and three assists.
- Regan McCray added 17 points and Alexis Armstrong chipped in with 14 points and eight rebounds.
- King hosts Converse College at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday night.
- Limestone travels to Lees-McRae College on Wednesday night.