MURFREESBORO, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team took a solid Conference Carolinas road victory on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado outscored Chowan University in each quarter to take the contest 68-52.
FINAL: King 68, Chowan 52
LOCATION: Helms Center; Murfreesboro, N.C.
RECORDS: King 8-7, 5-4 Conference Carolinas; Chowan 3-11, 3-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a solid start, taking an 8-2 advantage following a Kori West layup three minutes into the contest.
- Ali Golden gave King their largest lead of the quarter at 18-11 with a layup.
- Chowan then scored the final four points of the quarter, but the Tornado held an 18-15 lead.
- King opened the second period on a 9-0 run, extending their lead to 27-15 following another Golden layup.
- A Trinity Lee trifecta gave King their largest lead of the half at 30-17 before the Hawks went on a run.
- Chowan scored nine of the final 13 points, cutting the Tornado lead to 34-26 at the half.
- Another Lee triple gave the Tornado a 46-32 lead midway through the third period.
- Chowan chipped away their deficit, but Symantha Fugate made the final basket of the quarter to give King a 48-38 lead.
- King looked to put the game out of reach in the early going, scoring the first nine points of the period.
- Arielle Holloway capped the run with a jump shot to give the Tornado a 57-38 lead with seven minutes remaining.
- The King lead grew to 63-41 midway through the period as the Tornado went on to take the contest 68-52.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Holloway led the Tornado with 17 points and nine rebounds.
- Lee and Fritz followed with 15 points apiece. Lee accounted for six rebounds and Fritz snared seven boards.
- West chipped in with 11 points and five rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Monique Jones led Chowan with nine points and nine rebounds.
- King returns home to take on North Greenville University on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
- Chowan travels to Limestone College on Wednesday night.