SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team got back into the win column on Wednesday night when the topped Converse College. The Tornado used a balanced scoring attack to take the contest 72-49.
FINAL: King 72, Converse 49
LOCATION: Gibbs Field House; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 7-7, 4-4 Conference Carolinas; Converse 2-15, 1-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King turned a 5-4 deficit into a 10-5 lead with back-to-back three-point baskets from Ali Golden and Trinity Lee.
- Ryleigh Fritz gave King a 19-12 lead after the first quarter when she drilled a triple in the final minute.
- Arielle Holloway started an 11-0 spurt in the second quarter with a basket.
- Lee and Kiki Samsel connected on three-point shots on the run that gave King a 39-18 lead.
- The Valkyries scored the final four points of the quarter, but King held a 39-22 lead at the break.
- Fritz started a 10-0 run early in the third quarter with a triple. The run was capped by a pair of Samsel free throws to give King a 49-24 lead.
- Holloway gave King their largest lead of the game a 55-28 with a pair of free throws to end the third quarter.
- The Valkyries tried to comeback, scoring nine of the first 11 points of the fourth quarter to cut the King lead to 57-37.
- King stretched their lead back to 65-39 following a Fritz three-point play as the Tornado went on to take the contest 72-49.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee led the Tornado with 15 points and seven rebounds.
- Fritz also scored 15 points and added five rebounds.
- Kori West followed with 14 points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Alexis McMillian led Converse with 16 points and four rebounds.
- Ashley Sides chipped in with nine points.
- King stays on the road to take on Chowan University on Saturday. Tipoff from Murfreesboro, N.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Converse hosts Erskine College on Saturday afternoon.