BRISTOL, Tenn. – In what was a game of runs, the King University women's basketball team came up one run short on Saturday against the University of Mount Olive. The teams entered the fourth quarter even, but the Trojans edged King to take the 62-56 victory.
FINAL: Mount Olive 62, King 56
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-7, 3-4 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 9-3, 6-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive used a 10-2 spurt in the first quarter to open up their largest lead of the game at 17-7.
- However, the Tornado scored the final four points of the stanza, cutting their deficit to 17-11.
- The run continued in the second period as a Ryleigh Fritz trifecta pulled King within one possession.
- Fritz drilled another triple, pulling the Tornado within 19-18 with seven minutes remaining until halftime.
- The Trojans stretched their lead back out to nine points for King started to chip away again.
- Trailing 29-22, Ali Golden started a 6-0 King run with a jump shot.
- A pair of Fritz free throws and a Julie Ford basket gave King the final six points of the quarter, but Mount Olive led 29-28 at the break.
- The teams went back-and-forth in the third period as there were three ties and four lead changes.
- Kori West gave King their first lead of the game at 37-36 with an old fashioned three-point play.
- West later gave King their largest lead of the game at 41-38 with a layup.
- However, the Trojans scored the four of the final five points of the quarter to even the game at 42 going to the final period.
- Golden gave King a 44-42 lead with a pair of free throws to start the fourth quarter, but Mount Olive responded with six straight points to regain the lead.
- The Trojans extended their lead to 55-45 with four minutes remaining, but the Tornado had a run left.
- An Arielle Holloway steal and layup capped an 8-0 King run and pulled the Tornado within 55-53 with 1:30 remaining.
- Holloway later collected and offensive rebound and made the put back with 19 seconds remaining, again pulling King within 57-55.
- However, the Tornado couldn't get any closer than that as the Trojans closed out the 62-56 win at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Fritz led the Tornado with 18 points and four rebounds.
- West added 13 points and eight rebounds.
- Golden chipped in with 13 points and four rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Azariah Fields and Jada Bacchus led four Mount Olive scorers in double figures with 15 points apiece.
- Bacchus added a game-high 16 rebounds and four assists.
- Kelly Post followed with 11 points and 11 rebounds while Ivanda Hudjakova chipped in with 13 points and seven rebounds.
- King returns to the court on Wednesday when they travel to Converse College. Tipoff is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. in Spartanburg, S.C.
- Mount Olive hosts Chowan University on Wednesday night.