BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team took on Carson-Newman University for the second time in three days on Saturday in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado held the lead at halftime, but the Eagles put together a solid second half to take the contest 82-72.
FINAL: Carson-Newman 82, King 72
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-3; Carson-Newman 4-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Carson-Newman got off to a hot start taking a 7-0 lead three minutes into the contest.
- The Tornado deficit grew to 10-2 before Kori West made a layup as King chipped away at their deficit.
- Symantha Fugate and Amaya Lee mad consecutive baskets in the final two minutes to cut the King deficit to 18-14 after the first quarter.
- Five straight points from Kiki Samsel pulled King within one before Lexi Campos gave King the lead with a jump shot.
- Ryleigh Fritz stretched the King lead to 29-25 with a pair of free throws in the final minute and Arielle Holloway gave the Tornado a 32-30 lead at the break.
- Ali Golden gave King a 36-33 lead before the Eagles scored 10 straight points to open up a 43-36 advantage four minutes into the period.
- West later scored six straight points to pull King within 45-42 midway through the stanza, but the Eagles responded with a triple and a basket to extend their lead.
- The Tornado deficit grew to 12 before they whittle their deficit down to six at 56-50 with one minute remaining in the stanza.
- Carson-Newman scored the final basket to take a 58-50 lead into the final quarter.
- King cut their deficit to six points on numerous occasions throughout the final period, but the Eagles hand an answer each time
- Carson Newman earned their largest lead of the game at 13 points as they took the contest 82-72.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- West led King with season-highs of 20 points and 10 rebounds for her first double-double of the season.
- Samsel followed with 16 points while Fritz posted nine points and five assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Tori Griffin led Carson-Newman with 23 points.
- Kayla Marosites posted 20 points, 17 rebounds and four assists.
- King returns to the court in the Student Center Complex on Wednesday when they take on Lincoln Memorial University at 6:00 p.m.
- Carson-Newman takes on Clayton State University on Friday in Dahlonega, Ga.