BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team started off their season with a solid victory, as the Tornado defeated Mars Hill University 90-62 in their season opener on Friday night.
FINAL SCORE: King 90, Mars Hill 62
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-0; Mars Hill 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kori West gave King a 3-0 lead in the first few minutes of the game after she scored a layup off an offensive rebound and knocked down a free throw.
- However, the Lions worked their way back and traded shots with King in the middle of the first half.
- Trinity Lee tied the score 7-7 after nailing a jump shot, but Mars Hill pulled away to take a 10-7 lead with five minutes left in the first period.
- King took the lead after Arielle Holloway hit a jump shot.
- Lexi Campos and Holloway hit a pair of three-pointers to give King the 19-17 advantage at the end of the first period.
- Trinity Lee scored back-to-back layups to open up the second period, giving King their largest lead of the night.
- The Tornado went on a 5-0 run after Kiki Samsel hit a three-point jump shot and extended the lead to 26-19.
- Ryleigh Fritz nabbed a three-pointer late in the second period to pull the Tornado ahead 34-25.
- Holloway scored five points with a minute left before halftime after she nailed down a three-point jump shot and a layup. She also assisted on Samsel's three-pointer with 35 seconds left until halftime.
- Amaya Lee hit a jump shot, giving King a 44-29 lead at halftime.
- In the third period, the Tornado continued to stun on offense, with Samsel opening up the period with another three-pointer and Lee adding another jump shot.
- Ali Golden pulled King ahead 61-42 after she scored six points late in the third period.
- The Tornado defense held down the Lion offense, only allowing six points in the first five minutes of the last half.
- Samsel and Fritz remained aggressive offensively, adding back-to-back three-point baskets and two lay-ups to pull the Tornado ahead 76-54.
- Julie Ford scored four points and Trinity Lee added another jump shot in the final minutes of the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Trinity Lee led the Tornado with 20 points and matched a career-high for the third time; her last was December 18, 2018 against Belmont Abbey College. She also earned a career-high in assists.
- Kiki had an impressive performance for King, as the sophomore finished with 18 points and five rebounds, marking a career-high points and rebounds.
- Julie Ford finished with 10 rebounds, a career-high for the sophomore.
- Kori West finished with nine rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- De'Ja Marshall had a double-double scoring 26 points and racking up 14 rebounds.
- King is in action again tomorrow, hosting Tusculum College. Tipoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill plays Belmont Abbey.