BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball received a pair of stellar pitching performances from Nikole Counts and Emma Hughes on Thursday afternoon against Carson-Newman University. However, the Eagles scored four unearned runs in the seventh inning to take game one 4-2 before King bounced back for the 3-0 game-two victory.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 4, King 2; King 3, Carson-Newman 0
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-13; Carson-Newman 14-4
- Azlee Sells had two hits and scored a run in game one for the Tornado while Chelsea Sams ripped her third home run of the year.
- Bailey Deason went 2-for-2 and drove in one in game two.
- Hughes tossed her eighth complete game and second shutout in the nightcap.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Counts and Carson-Newman pitcher Makayla McCarthy each worked around an error in the first to keep the game scoreless.
- Sells got the first hit of the game for the Tornado, a double in the third. She later scored from second on a wild pitch to give King a 1-0 lead.
- Counts made that hold up until an Eagle rally in the seventh.
- Carson-Newman loaded the bases with two outs before an Abby Fiessinger double cleared the bases after an error extended the inning.
- Haley Caldwell drove in Fiessinger with a single, giving the Eagles a 4-1 lead.
- Sams ripped a home run in the bottom of the inning, but it wasn't enough as King fell 4-2.
Winning Pitcher: Makayla McCarthy (5-2) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Nikole Counts (1-6) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- King grabbed the lead in the first inning as an Erin Foster sacrifice fly scored Deason who walked earlier in the inning.
- That was all Hughes needed as she retired nine straight batters in the second through fourth innings following a leadoff hit by pitch in the second.
- A Deason single up the middle tacked on an insurance run in the fifth before an Eagle miscue gave King a 3-0 lead on an attempted squeeze play.
- Following a one-out single in the sixth, Hughes retired the final five batters she faced to give King the 3-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (6-3) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Lacie Rinus (6-2) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Maddie Gillett, Taylor Scott and Haley Caldwell all posted two hits with Scott ripping a pair of doubles.
- Fiessinger drove in three with Caldwell driving in one.