HARTSVILLE, S.C. – The King University softball team dropped a pair of tight contests at Coker University on Sunday afternoon. In a pair of pitcher's duals, King fell 3-0 and 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: Coker 3, King 0; Coker 3, King 2
LOCATION: Saleeby-Stokes Field; Hartsville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 7-11; Coker 17-2
- Meagan Puckett led the offense with three hits, including a double and one run batted in.
- Chelsea Sams also drove in a run while Casey Gilbert posted two hits.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Both pitchers were on early as Nikole Counts retired the first six batters she faced for the Tornado, and Coker's Christine Carver retired the first nine batters she faced.
- Coker got on the board in the third inning as a Tornado defensive miscue start the inning.
- Jessica McWhorter played the game's first run on a groundout.
- Gilbert started the Tornado half of the third with a single before a Puckett single put two on with one out.
- The runners moved up on a sacrifice bunt, but King couldn't push a run across.
- Lauren DeWitt added two insurance runs for Coker with a two-run single in the sixth.
- King couldn't get the offense going in the seventh, falling 3-0.
Winning Pitcher: Christine Carver (6-0) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Nikole Counts (0-5) 6.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Coker took the lead with a leadoff home run in the first inning.
- The Tornado had a runner in the first inning and two in the second before breaking through in the third.
- Gilbert started the third with a double and later score on a Puckett double.
- Sams gave King the lead with a sacrifice fly scored Bailey Deason, giving King a 2-1 lead.
- The Cobras answered in the bottom of the inning with an Ava Jay single that scored Hannah Goodman who doubled to start the inning, evening the score at 2-2.
- Sams started the King half of the sixth inning with a triple and it looked like King would take the lead.
- A walk and hit by pitch loaded the bases with one out before the Cobras cut down a run at the plate.
- Coker then got the final out to leave the bases loaded.
- The Tornado again had two runners in the seventh inning with one out, but a pair of groundouts ended the threat.
- Goodman started a two-out rally for Coker in the bottom of the seventh with a single.
- She then scored on a Bailey Douglas double to right center, giving Coker the 3-2 win.
Winning Pitcher: Jordyn Goodman (4-1) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (3-3) 6.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Goodman posted three hits on the day and scored twice.
- Ashley Meckley also scored twice while Jay posted two hits and drove in one.
- The Tornado return home to take on Lincoln Memorial University on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Coker travels to Valdosta State University on Tuesday.