FLORENCE, S.C. – The King University softball team dropped a pair of games at Francis Marion University on Saturday afternoon. Francis Marion posted big innings in both games, topping King 7-4 and 9-1.
FINAL SCORE: Francis Marion 7, King 4; Francis Marion 9, King 1
LOCATION: FMU Softball Stadium; Florence, S.C.
RECORDS: King 7-9; Francis Marion 18-3
- Casey Gilbert and Bailey Deason led the Tornado with three hits apiece on the day.
- Gilbert had three hits in game one while driving in one.
- Erin Foster ripped a home run in game one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Gilbert started the game with a triple, but she was stranded there.
- Francis Marion took the lead following a leadoff double in the third inning. Later in the frame, Ashtyn Patterson came up with a single to put the Patriots on top.
- The Patriots broke the game open with six runs in the fifth inning.
- A two-run single from Savana Rosson and two-run double from Janecia Hemingway highlighted the frame that gave Francis Marion a 7-0 lead.
- Gilbert started the King half of the sixth with a one-out single before Deason laced a double.
- Foster then came up with a home run, cutting the King deficit to 7-3.
- The Tornado tried to get a rally going in the seventh as Danielle Parks started the frame with a single.
- With the bases loaded, Gilbert singled to score one, prompting a Patriot pitching change.
- Hemingway came into to pitch and got the final two outs, to leave the bases loaded and give Francis Marion the 7-4 win.
Winning Pitcher: Katelyn Ellard (10-3) 6.1 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (4-3) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Save: Janecia Hemingway (1) 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- A two-out error for the Tornado extended the bottom half of the first inning, and the Patriots took advantage.
- Hemingway came up with a single to put Francis Marion on top.
- The score remained the same until Francis Marion scored five runs in the third inning.
- Sarah Harkins had the big blow, a grand slam that gave the Patriots a 6-0 lead.
- King got on the board in the sixth inning on a Meagan Puckett groundout that scored Gilbert, cutting the Tornado deficit to 6-1.
- However, Francis Marion ended the game with three runs in the sixth inning to take the game 9-1.
Winning Pitcher: Janecia Hemingway (5-0) 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Nikole Counts (0-4) 5.2 IP, 11 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Patterson posted four hits from the leadoff spot and scored three runs.
- Harkins also had four hits on the day, and drove in seven runs.
- King stays on the road to take on Coker College on Sunday. First pitch from Hartsville, S.C. is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Francis Marion travels to Limestone College on Sunday.