CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University softball team took to the road on Wednesday and came away with a split at Queens University. The Royals won game one 6-5 before the Tornado offense came back to win game two 12-5.
FINAL SCORE: Queens 6, King 5; King 12, Queens 5
LOCATION: Tuckaseegee Dream Fields; Charlotte, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-7; Queens 10-7
- Chelsea Sams hit her first home run in game one, and followed it with another bomb in the nightcap. Sams drove in four runs and scored four times on the day.
- Erin Foster hit two home runs in game two and drove in five on the day.
- Casey Gilbert hit a grand slam and drove in six runs in game two.
- Along with Sams, Meagan Puckett posted four hits on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Foster gave King an early lead with a double that scored Puckett and Bailey Deason in the top of the first inning.
- However, the Royals plated one in the bottom of the first and another in the second to even the score.
- In the third, Sams gave the lead back to the Tornado with a three-run home run.
- Queens got two of those runs back in the bottom of the inning on a two-run home run from McKenzie McCullen.
- The Royals hit another two-run home run in the fourth, this one from Brianna Linder, taking a 6-5 lead
- King threatened with two runners in the fifth, but couldn't push the tying run across.
- Deason started the seventh with a single and a sacrifice bunt moved her to second.
- An error put two runners one, but Queens got the final two outs to take the contest 6-5.
Winning Pitcher: Courtney Pearson (4-5) 7.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (4-2) 5.0 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 0 BB, 8 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Queens took a 1-0 lead with a run in the second inning, but King came back in the fourth.
- Haylee Dye evened the score with a single up the middle that score Sams before Gilbert came up with the big blow.
- With the bases loaded, Gilbert hit a home run, giving King a 5-1 lead.
- Home runs from Foster and Sams in the fifth inning extended the lead before King put the game out of reach in the seventh.
- The Tornado took a 12-2 lead with five runs in the seventh.
- Foster ripped a two-run home run before Gilbert drove in two with a single.
- Queens tried to comeback in the bottom half, scoring three runs, but that was it as King took the contest 12-5.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (3-2) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Shannon McGuire (5-2) 4.1 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Gerlea Patton led Queens with three hits, including a triple.
- McCullen drove in five runs on two home runs.
- Linder and Alyssa Strickler also hit home runs.
- King travels to Francis Marion University on Saturday. First pitch from Florence, S.C. is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Queens travels to Coker University on Thursday.