BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team started the day with a resounding 12-4 win over Mars Hill University. However, the Lion offense came alive in the nightcap, taking the contest 4-3 and giving King the split.
FINAL SCORE: King 12, Mars Hill 4; Mars Hill 4, King 3
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-6; Mars Hill 2-6
- Azlee Sells and Danielle Parks each posted three hits on the day with Parks driving in three and scoring three runs.
- Casey Gilbert also drove in three runs, coming on a pair of doubles.
- Kaylee Rowland hit her first career home run in game two.
- Chelsea Sams also scored three runs while Bailey Deason scored twice.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Mars Hill took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on a double steal and a run-scoring double from Ashley Evans.
- Erin Foster got one of the runs back for King in the bottom of the inning as her double scored Deason.
- The King offense exploded in the bottom of the second inning, scoring nine runs on five hits.
- Gilbert ripped a two-run double and Meagan Puckett drove her in with another double.
- Parks later drove in two with a single up the middle as King took a 10-2 lead.
- An Emiley Buriss two-run home in the third, cut the King lead to 10-4.
- The score remained the same until the fifth inning when King plated a pair of runs.
- Katelyne Loudy gave King the 12-4 win when she singled down the left field line, scoring Parks to end the game.
Winning Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (4-1) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ashley Collins (1-3) 1.1 IP, 6 H, 10 R, 10 ER, 5 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Game two was much tighter as Rowland got the Tornado on the board with a leadoff home run in the third inning.
- Later in the frame, back-to-back doubles from Gilbert and Deason gave King a 2-0 lead.
- Mars Hill answered with one run in the fourth before taking the lead with a pair of runs in the fifth inning.
- A double, followed by a single evened the score two batters into the frame before the Lions took the lead on a run-scoring groundout following an error.
- Mars Hill added an insurance run in the sixth when Cassidy Allen drove in Ashley Hamlin with a single.
- Sams walked to start the bottom of the inning, and a Parks double scored her and pulled King within 4-3.
- The Lions cut down a baserunner trying to steal before a Sells double gave King a chance to even the score.
- However, Mars Hill got out of the inning with their 4-3 lead intact.
- Puckett came up with a two-out hit in the seventh, but that was it as the Tornado fell 4-3.
Winning Pitcher: Ashley Collins (2-3) 4.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Nikole Counts (0-3) 7.0 IP, 13 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Allen, Buriss and Evans all posted three hits for Mars Hill.
- Allen and Buriss drove in two each, as did Sydney Craig.
- Evans and Hamlin scored two runs apiece.
- King travels to Queens University on Wednesday. First pitch from Charlotte, N.C. is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill travels to Carson-Neman University on Saturday.