BURLINGTON, N.C. – King University outlasted Limestone College in an elimination game in the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship. The second-seeded Tornado came away with a 3-2 win in 11 innings to eliminate the eighth-seeded Saints.
FINAL SCORE: No. 2 King 3; No. 8 Limestone 2 (F/11)
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: King 31-20; Limestone 23-25
- Kaycee Casteel led King with three hits with Katelyn Davidson and Katie McCann posted two hits apiece.
- Lindsey Mason, Ruthie Jackson and Jordan Howe led Limestone with two hits each.
- Casey Gilbert tossed all 11 innings for King, allowing two runs, one earned on eight hits.
- Sydney Sullivan threw seven and two-thirds innings in relief, allowing only one unearned run on six hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Azlee Sells gave King a 1-0 lead when she ripped a home run in the second inning, her third of the year.
- Limestone answered with a run in the top of the third to even the score at 1-1.
- Davidson put the Tornado ahead again with a two-out double that scored Brokering, giving King a 2-1 lead.
- The Saints came back to even the score at 2-2 when Ashley Parnell ripped a two-out single to left field that scored Macie Parker in the fifth.
- Neither team could break through again as the game went to extra innings.
- Gilbert and Sullivan started matching each other pitch-for-pitch.
- The Tornado offense had the first chance to score in extra innings, putting runners on the corners in the 10th, but Sullivan came up with a strikeout to send the game to the 11th.
- McCann started a rally in the 11th with a one-out single and Hanna Adams walked to put two runners on.
- Gilbert loaded the bases with a bunt single before Casteel ripped a shot to the drawn-in infield.
- The ball was bobbled, allowing McCann to score and give King the 3-2 victory.
- King advances to take on sixth seed Southern Wesleyan on Saturday night in another elimination game.
- Limestone is eliminated.