BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team was in action on Saturday against Lees-McRae College for senior day. Casey Gilbert tossed one of her best games of the year in game one to help King earn a split on the day.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Lees-McRae; Lees-McRae 5, King 1
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 25-16, Conference Carolinas 11-5; Lees-McRae 19-16, Conference Carolinas 8-8
- Gilbert tossed her fifth complete game shutout of the year and earned her tenth win of the year.
- Katelyn Davidson hits a solo home run in game one to give King the 1-0 victory.
- Kaycee Casteel goes 2-for-5 on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- King started off the game a single from Casteel and a walk from Kay Brokering. King threatened to score with runners on first and third but was unable to capitalize early on.
- Pitching for both sides were lights out for the whole game as Gilbert and Kara Cunningham matched each other pitch for pitch.
- Davidson, however, broke the scoreless ball game in the bottom of the fourth with a solo home run over the centerfield fence to give King a 1-0 lead.
- This proved to be enough as Gilbert would retire nine of the next 11 batters to shut down the Bobcats offense and take the game 1-0.
Winning Pitcher: Gilbert (10-4) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Cunningham (8-7) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Bobcats offense woke up in game two as Cunningham started off with a double down the left field line.
- After a walk, Emily Merrium stepped up to the plate and knocked a double down the left field line to drive in two runs to give Lees-McRae a 2-0 lead.
- Both offenses would quiet down once again as Rachel Farmer and Cassidy Largen going pitch for pitch as well, with Largen tossing a no-hitter all the way to the sixth inning.
- The Bobcats added a run in the sixth however to extend their lead over the Tornado 3-0.
- King cut into the lead in the sixth inning with Azlee Sells breaking up the no-hitter with a laser to left field.
- Gilbert followed with a double to right field to cut the Bobcat lead down 3-1.
- Lees-McRae added two more runs in the top of the seventh to put the game away 5-1.
Winning Pitcher: Gilbert (10-4) 7.0 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Madison Hunter (9-6) 2.1 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Cunningham goes 5-for-7 on the day scoring twice.
- Merrium drives in four runs in game two.
- Largen tosses a complete game with eight strikeouts in game two.
- King hosts Tusculum University on Monday at 1:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae hosts Converse on Monday.