WILSON, N.C. – The King University softball team stay unbeaten in Conference Carolinas play with a pair of wins at Barton College on Saturday. The Tornado scored two runs on a Hanna Adams single in the seventh inning to take game one 2-0 before winning the nightcap 6-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Barton 0; King 6, Barton 0
LOCATION: Jeffries Field; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 17-10, 6-0 Conference Carolinas; Barton 13-18, 3-3 Conference Carolinas
- Adams paced the King offense, driving in four runs on three hits.
- Kay Brokering and Casey Gilbert also posted three hits on the day while Katie McCann and Kaycee Casteel each scored two runs.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Sierra Hearp of Barton and Rachel Farmer of King were locked in a pitcher's duel in the opening contest.
- The duo held the opposing offenses to 11 total hits as the contest was scoreless through six innings.
- Barton had runners in each of the first two innings, but Farmer escaped trouble.
- King had a pair of runners in the sixth, but Hearp got out of the jam.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Barton put runners on the corners with two outs, but Farmer induced a groundout, getting King out of the inning.
- Katelyn Davidson started the seventh inning with an infield single and Hattie Campbell followed with another infield single.
- Following a pair of outs, Adams laced a two-run single to center, putting King ahead 2-0.
- That was all Farmer need as she sat the Bulldogs down in order in the seventh, giving the Tornado the 2-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (5-1) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Sierra Hearp (3-4) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Gilbert started game two with a double and later scored on a Brokering single to center, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- Gilbert also had a solid day in the circle for the Tornado, starting with a 1-2-3 inning in the first.
- In the second inning, she stranded a pair of one-out hits to keep King ahead.
- Jenna Burnett stretched the King lead to 2-0 with a two-out single that scored Casteel in the third inning.
- The Tornado added another on an Adams single in the fourth that scored McCann.
- Adams produced another run for the Tornado in the sixth, ripping a double that scored McCann and gave King a 4-0 lead.
- The Tornado tacked on a couple insurance runs in the seventh as Burnett drove in Casteel with a single and a Davidson flyout scored Brokering to give King a 6-0 advantage.
- The Bulldogs had a baserunner in the seventh, but King cut that down with a double play as the Tornado took the contest 6-0.
Winning Pitcher: Casey Gilbert (5-3) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Makayla Meeks (3-5) 3.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Ashley Ferguson led the Bulldog offense with four hits on the day.
- King stays on the road to take on the University of Mount Olive on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Barton hosts Lees-McRae College on Sunday afternoon.