GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University softball team split a pair of contests on Saturday afternoon at the Tusculum Tournament. The Tornado fell to Columbus State University 6-2 before bouncing back to defeat the University of New Haven 7-3.
FINAL SCORE: Columbus State 6, King 2; King 7, New Haven 3
LOCATION: Red Edmonds Field; Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-5; Columbus State 16-8, New Haven 4-4
- Hattie Campbell led the way in game one with two hits, one run scored and one run batted in.
- In the nightcap, Kay Brokering went 2-for-2 with a home run, two runs batted in and two runs scored.
- Katie McCann also went 2-for-3 and scored twice.
- In her lone plate appearance, Sydney Bailey collected a hit and drove in two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Taking on the Cougars for the second time in as many weeks, the Tornado quickly loaded the bases in the first inning. However, King couldn't push any runs across.
- Kirstin Reynolds got the Cougars on the board with a one-out double, putting Columbus State ahead 1-0 in the first inning.
- Columbus State broke the game open in the third inning, scoring five runs with two outs. Paris Poston had the big hit, a two-run double.
- Campbell got King on the board in the sixth inning when she ripped a double that scored Katelyn Davidson.
- Azlee Sells then turned a 12-pitch at bat into a single that scored Campbell and pulled the Tornado within 6-2.
- However, King couldn't push any more runs across as the Cougars took the game 6-2.
Winning Pitcher: Darby Demarest (7-3) 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 14 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leslie Odom (3-3) 2.2 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Reynolds posted two hits and drove in two while Elizabeth Perdue collected two hits.
- Poston also drove in two and scored one.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado jumped on top in the first inning as Davidson drove in Brokering with a two-out single, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- McCann started a Tornado rally with a leadoff single and a Hanna Adams single put two runners on.
- With the bases loaded, Kaycee Casteel drove in one with a groundout, and the Tornado added another on an error.
- Brokering then came up with a two-run home run, extending the King lead to 5-0.
- The Tornado tacked on two in the sixth on a Bailey two-run single to center, giving King a 7-0 lead.
- New Haven didn't give up in the seventh, scoring a pair on a Mya Case two-run single and adding another on a ground out, cutting their deficit to 7-3.
- Nevertheless, Casey Gilbert entered the circle to get the final three outs and give King the 7-3 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (3-2) 3.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mia Iodice (0-2) 1.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- New Haven had four players that accounted for two hits, and Case led the way with two runs batted in.
- King returns home to take on Young Harris College on Sunday with first pitch at 1:00 p.m.
- New Haven and Columbus State square off on Sunday morning.