BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball returned home for the first time in a month and gave the crowd a show as the Tornado went to five sets with the University of Charleston. The Tornado won the first two sets, only to see the Golden Eagles come back and extend the match. King then took the fifth set 15-11 for the 3-2 win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Charleston 2 (30-28, 25-13, 28-30, 20-25, 15-11)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-9; Charleston 4-12
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Charleston opened up a 7-4 lead following a quick 3-0 spurt before a 5-2 run pulled King back even at nine following a block from Sean Kohlhase and Douglas Florencio.
- The teams then traded blows and had chances at set point.
- King held off two Charleston set points while the Golden Eagles held off three King set points before King finally put the set away.
- A kill from Kohlhase and block from Florencio gave King the set 30-28.
- The King offense turned it up a notch in the second set, hitting .368 in the 25-13 victory.
- A 4-0 run broke a 4-4 tie for the Tornado as King continued to gradually extend the lead.
- The Tornado later scored seven straight points as a Joshua Kim service as gave King a 21-10 lead en route to the victory.
- King fell behind 12-4, but used three separate 4-0 runs, amounting to a 13-3 run that gave King a 17-15 lead.
- King then had four chances a match point, but the Golden Eagles held off each instance before scoring back-to-back points to take the set 30-28.
- Back-to-back kills from Kim and Suetonius Harris gave King an 11-7 lead in the fourth set before Charleston used a 5-1 run to even the score at 12.
- King regained the lead with four straight points as Charleston called for a timeout.
- However, out of the break, the Golden Eagles scored four straight points, evening the score at 16.
- A 3-0 Golden Eagle surge broke a tie at 19 before a Kim kill.
- Nevertheless, Charleston scored the final two points to take the set 25-20.
- The Tornado held a slight advantage in the early going, but Charleston came back and evened the tally at seven before consecutive King points.
- Kim later had back-to-back kills, giving King a 12-9 lead as Charleston called for a timeout.
- The Tornado made that lead hold up as Harris gave King the 15-11 win with his second kill of the set.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kim led King with 19 kills as he hit .441 in the match. He added seven digs.
- Kohlhase followed with 18 kills and three blocks.
- Harris posted a double-double with 14 kills and 10 digs.
- Ryan Sumarsono led the back row with 12 digs.
- JT Deppe handed out 54 assists and added eight digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Lachlan Bray led Charleston with 27 kills and eight digs.
- Maarten Bartels followed with 11 kills, six digs and four blocks.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 54 assists for Deppe is a career-high, topping his previous mark of 50.
- The double-double for Harris is his first of the season and second of his career.
- King stays at home to take on Tusculum University on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Charleston travels to George Mason University on Saturday.