WILSON, N.C. – The King University men's volleyball faced another high powered offense on Saturday afternoon as Conference Carolinas-leading Barton College defeated the Tornado 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 0 (25-22, 25-13, 25-22)
LOCATION: Wilson Gymnasium; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-9, 5-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 13-2, 8-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barton start the match by hitting .500 with 15 kills in the opening set.
- The Bulldogs took a 10-5 lead as King called for a timeout with the Bulldogs on a 3-0 run.
- The Tornado deficit grew to 12-6 before King went on a 5-1 run to pull within 13-11 following a JT Deppe ace.
- A Suetonius Harris ace later evened the score at 18, forcing a Barton timeout.
- Barton then answered with a 4-1 run to open up a 23-20 lead as the Bulldogs took the set 25-22.
- The Bulldog offense improved in the second set, hitting .550 with 13 kills.
- Barton jumped out to an 8-2 lead and led 17-9 when King called for their second timeout of the set.
- The Tornado couldn't recover as Barton won the set 25-13.
- Barton again hit over .500 in the third set, posting a .516 attack percentage with 18 kills.
- The Bulldogs used three straight points to open up an 11-5 advantage in the early going.
- King fought back and used a 5-1 run to even the score at 16 following a pair of kills from Julian Young.
- The score was tied for the last time at 18 when Barton went on a 4-1 run, opening up a 22-19 lead.
- King couldn't get closer than two points as the Bulldogs took the set 25-22 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Joshua Kim led King with 12 kills while Sean Kohlhase followed with nine kills.
- Deppe handed out 33 assists and added three digs and four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Angelos Madilaris and Nicolo Mancin led Barton with 13 kills each. Mandilaris added four digs and six blocks.
- Mancin added six digs and two blocks.
- Adrian Iglesias chipped in with 12 kills while Oscar Fiorentino handed out 42 assists.
- King returns home on Thursday to face the University of Charleston (W.Va.). First serve from the Student Center Complex is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Barton next hosts Emmanuel College on March 13.