MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University men's volleyball team ran into a hot University of Mount Olive team on Friday night. King couldn't slow down the high powered Trojan offense as Mount Olive took the 3-0 win.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 3, King 0 (25-18, 25-19, 25-18)
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-8, 5-2 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 10-7, 5-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive posted 16 kills and hit .520 in the opening set while holding King to a .167 attack percentage.
- The Trojans used a 5-2 run to open up a 13-7 lead and force King to take a timeout.
- King couldn't get any closer as the Trojans took the set 25-18.
- Mount Olive again got off to a hot start and took an 11-7 lead following a 4-1 spurt.
- King used a 4-1 run to pull within 18-17 following a Radek Bryja kill.
- However, Mount Olive scored seven of the final eight points to take the set 25-18.
- The Trojans scored four straight points to gain separation, taking a 10-5 lead.
- King came back to pull within 13-11 on a Diego Marcano kill, but the Trojans responded.
- Three straight points forced a King timeout as Mount Olive went on a 10-1 run to opened up a 23-12 lead, eventually taking the set 25-17 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Julian Young led King with seven kills and two blocks.
- Bryja and Marcano followed with five kills each.
- Jack Sarnowski handed out 25 assists and added five digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Jarrod Ferguson led Mount Olive with 13 kills and six digs.
- Tobi Azeez followed with 12 kills, five digs and three aces.
- Nicolas Laxar handed out 40 assists and Trevor Tresor posted eight digs.
- King travels to Barton College on Saturday. First serve from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive hosts Lees-McRae on Saturday.