TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University men's volleyball took a tight Conference Carolinas sweep at North Greenville University on Tuesday night. The Tornado took the first set easily but had to fight to win the final two sets 25-23 for the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 0 (25-16, 25-23, 25-23)
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 7-5, 5-0 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 4-5, 2-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tight early on until a block from Julian Young and JT Deppe along with another King point gave the Tornado a 19-15 lead as North Greenville called timeout.
- King scored the final four points, two on blocks from Young and Joshua Kim and kills from the pair to take the 25-16 victory.
- Suetonius Harris came up with an ace to start a 5-0 King run that broke a 5-5 tie.
- Douglas Florencio and Sean Kohlhase teamed up for a block that ended the run with King leading 10-6.
- North Greenville made a run and evened the score at 20 before Kohlhase came up with a kill.
- Back-to-back blocks from Harris and Young, and then Kim and Kohlhase gave King a chance at set point as the Tornado took the set 25-23.
- A Kim kill gave King an early 6-3 lead in the third set.
- The Crusaders came back to even the score and held the advantage for the majority of the set.
- A Kohlhase kill started a 4-1 run that vaulted the Tornado into a 20-18 lead.
- However, North Greenville responded with five straight points to regain a 23-20 lead as King called for a timeout.
- King responded with five straight points of their own as consecutive kills from Harris and Kim evened the score at 23.
- Kim then ended the 25-23 win with a kill, giving the Tornado the 3-0 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase posted 11 kills, six digs and three blocks.
- Kim followed with nine kills, five digs and six blocks.
- Young added seven kills and seven blocks, including one solo stuff.
- Harris chipped in with six kills, four digs and three blocks.
- Deppe handed out 29 assists, and added nine digs and two blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Brandon Baker led North Greenville with 15 kills and five digs.
- Luis Kannee posted 12 kills and seven digs.
- Christian Phung registered 12 digs.
- King stays on the road for a nonconference tilt at Lincoln Memorial University on Friday. First serve from Harrogate, Tenn. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- North Greenville travels to the University of Mount Olive on Friday night.