BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team used a balanced attack on Friday night to earn another Conference Carolinas victory. The Tornado defeated Emmanuel College 3-1 behind a trio that reached double figures in kills.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 1 (25-17, 23-25, 25-12, 25-20)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-5, 3-0 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 1-7, 1-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Julian Young started a run for the Tornado with one of his three kills in the opening set.
- A block on the run from Jack Sarnowski and Douglas Florencio gave King a 15-11 lead and forced an Emmanuel timeout.
- The Tornado scored the next two points out of the break to take a 17-11 lead following a Joshua Kim service ace that capped the 6-0 spurt.
- King held their lead and took the opening set 25-17.
- Emmanuel held the advantage early in the second set and used a 7-3 run to open up a 17-13 lead after breaking a tie at 10.
- The Tornado came back and evened the score at 19 following a block from Florencio and Kim before a Sergio Palmer ace gave King the lead and forced a Lion timeout.
- King then took a 23-21 lead following a Suetonius Harris kill, but the Lions closed the set on a run.
- Emmanuel scored the final four points to take the set 25-23.
- King scored the first three points on a kill and block from Kim and another kill from Sean Kohlhase.
- Consecutive kills from Kohlhase and Kim later stretched the Tornado advantage to 13-5 as Emmanuel called for a timeout.
- The Tornado offense kept rolling behind Kim and Kohlhase as they combined for 11 kills in the set.
- King hit .630 in the 25-12 win as King scored the final three points on a pair of Kohlhase kills and another from Harris.
- Emmanuel raced out a 7-2 lead and led 9-4 before the Tornado offense got going.
- Kim posted a pair of kills on the 6-0 run while back-to-back kills from Harris and Florencio gave King an 11-10 lead.
- A block from Harris and Florencio put King ahead 18-16 and forced the first Lion timeout of the set.
- King then closed the set on a 5-2 run as consecutive kills from Kohlhase and Harris gave King the 25-20 and 3-1 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase led King with 15 kills and added eight digs.
- Harris followed with 14 kills.
- Kim posted 11 kills, 12 digs and five blocks.
- Young accounted for eight kills and five blocks.
- Florencio recorded an attack percentage of .750 with seven kills to go along with four blocks.
- Sarnowski handed out 47 assists and added seven digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Don Thompson led Emmanuel with 17 kills and seven digs.
- Aleksa Lakic followed with 15 kills.
- Henrik Westhoff handed out 36 assists while Fabian Marcano recorded eight digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kim posted his first double-double of the season.
- King stays at home to take on Erskine College on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.