BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball moved to 2-0 in Conference Carolinas play with a 3-0 win over rival Lees-McRae College. The offense was led by the attack of Diego Marcano, and Sean Kohlhase while JT Deppe posted a double-double in the win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lees-McRae 2 (25-22, 25-21, 25-19)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-5, 2-0 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 0-5, 0-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kohlhase started a 5-0 King run with one of his four kills in the opening set.
- King then scored three straight points as an ace from Kohlhase gave King an 8-2 lead as the Bobcats called timeout.
- Lees-McRae worked back within 12-10 before King scored four of the next five points to take a 16-11 lead as a Suetonius Harris kill forced another Bobcat timeout.
- The Bobcats never got closer than three points the rest of the way as another Kohlhase kill gave King the 25-22 win.
- The Tornado scored the first four points of the second set to set the tone early.
- Lees-McRae pulled within 17-16 before Marcano came up with one of his seven kills in the set to get the Tornado going.
- Harris and Marcano then recorded back-to-back kills, giving King the 25-21 victory.
- King used a 4-0 spurt to turn a 7-5 deficit into a 9-7 lead following a block from Douglas Florencio and Harris.
- King then scored four straight points to take a 13-8 lead on a Deppe kill.
- The Bobcats responded with four straight points to pull within 15-14 as King took a timeout.
- Out of the break, King scored five of the next seven points to take a commanding 20-16 lead on a Marcano kill.
- A block from Aaron Milstead and Deppe gave King a chance at match point before a Milstead kill gave King the set 25-19 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Marcano led King with 11 kills and five digs while Kohlhase added 10 kills, three digs and two blocks.
- Deppe handed out 25 assists and added 10 digs and two blocks.
- Milstead posted six blocks, including one solo stuff.
FOR THE FOES
- Drew Sims led Lees-McRae with 11 kills and six digs.
- Michael Marsans followed with 10 kills and six digs.
- Bradley Peters handed out 25 assists and added seven digs.
- Steven Nalls led the way with 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Deppe is his first of the season and the third of his career.
- Milstead set a career-high with six blocks.
- King is in action again on Friday when they host Emmanuel College at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Lees-McRae hosts Belmont Abbey College on Saturday night.