BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team was victorious in their home opener on Friday night. The Tornado swept Urbana University in the Student Center Complex debut.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Urbana 0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-19)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-2; Urbana 0-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening set went back-and-forth until the Tornado scored three straight points, capped by a Douglas Florencio kill that put King ahead 14-12.
- The Blue Knights called for a timeout as the Tornado extended their lead to 16-13 following another 3-0 spurt.
- Urbana came back to pull within 18-17, but Julian Young started a 4-0 run that caused an Urbana timeout with the Tornado leading 21-17.
- The Tornado then cruised to the 25-19 victory.
- King broke a 6-6 tie with a 4-1 run that was highlighted by a Jack Sarnowski service ace to take a 10-7 lead.
- The Tornado lead grew to 13-9 following a block from Florencio and Sarnowski as the Tornado held their lead there for the remainder of the set.
- Sean Kohlhase eventually gave King the 25-22 victory with his fourth kill of the set.
- The Tornado gradually extended their lead in the final set, opening up a 13-8 lead before Urbana called for timeout.
- Back-to-back blocks, one by Sarnowski and Florencio, and the second a solo stuff from Florencio gave King a 17-10 lead as Urbana took their second timeout.
- The Tornado stretched their lead to 22-12, but the Blue Knights went on one last run.
- Urbana scored seven of the next eight points, cutting their deficit to 23-19, but the Tornado scored the final two points to take the set 25-19 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase led the Tornado with nine kills and hit .571, making just one error in the match.
- Joshua Kim followed with seven kills while Young added six kills and two blocks.
- Florencio posted a season-high five blocks, including three solo stuffs. Offensively, he didn't commit and error, hitting .571 with four kills.
- Sarnowski handed out 29 assists and added five digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Sam Hargett led Urbana with 13 kills while Jack Brinkman posted 11 kills.
- Chaz Hafer handed out 33 assists and added six digs.
- The Tornado travel to take on Ohio State University on Friday. First serve from Columbus, Ohio is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Urbana travels to Tusculum University on Saturday.