GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team earned the first win of the season with a 3-0 win over Tusculum University. All three sets were tight, but the Tornado took the road win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Tusculum 0 (25-23, 26-24, 25-20)
LOCATION: Pioneer Arena; Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-2; Tusculum 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tusculum got off to a hot start, using a 5-0 run to take a 10-5 lead and force a King timeout.
- However, the Tornado responded with five straight points to even the set, capped by a Joshua Kim ace.
- A block from Julian Young and Jack Sarnowski followed by a kill from Sean Kohlhase gave King a 16-12 lead and forced a Tusculum timeout.
- The Pioneers came back and evened the score at 20 before King tried to gain separation with back-to-back points on kills from Douglas Florencio and Suetonius Harris.
- The teams then traded points with the Tornado taking the set 25-23.
- King scored the first four points of the second set and jumped out to a 9-3 lead following a 3-0 spurt.
- Tusculum worked their way back and evened the score at 13 before taking a 17-15 lead.
- Consecutive King points evened the tally at 17 following a Harris kill.
- The Pioneers then held the upper hand down the stretch as the teams traded points.
- However, King closed the set with three straight points started by kills from Harris and King.
- Those kills gave King a 25-24 lead as the Tornado took the set 26-24.
- King again got off to a hot start, taking a 4-1 lead following a block from Young and Kim.
- However, Tusculum worked their way back, evening the score at 12 before taking a 14-13 lead with a 5-2 run.
- The Tornado responded with four straight points, as Harris started the run that gave King a 17-14 lead with a kill.
- King broke a tie at 18 with four straight points, highlighted by another Harris kill that put the Tornado ahead 22-18.
- The Tornado then scored the three of the final four points to take the set 25-20 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Harris led King with nine kills and hit .412 in the match to go along with six digs.
- Kohlhase followed with seven kills.
- Sarnowski handed out 21 assists and added three digs, four blocks and two aces.
FOR THE FOES
- Matteo Miselli led Tusculum with 11 kills while Shaun Kampshoff followed with 10 terminations.
- Lucas Blanco handed out 26 assists and Jaret Knight posted 10 digs.
- King plays their home opener on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. against Urbana University in the Student Center Complex.
- Tusculum hosts Urbana on Saturday.