CHICAGO – The King University men's volleyball team opened their season with a stout test, at 11th-ranked Loyola University of Chicago. The Tornado fought back from an early deficit, taking the third set from the Ramblers. However, Loyola Chicago won the final set to take the match 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: #11 Loyola Chicago 3, King 1 (25-14, 25-17, 22-25, 25-21)
LOCATION: Gentile Arena; Chicago, Ill.
RECORDS: King 0-1; Loyola Chicago 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado went back-and-forth with the Ramblers in the early going, holding the upper hand following a Sean Kohlhase kill to start the match.
- Suetonius Harris later gave King a 9-8 lead with a kill, but the Ramblers answered with a run.
- Loyola Chicago started with five straight points before a Joshua Kim kill.
- However, the Ramblers then scored six straight points to open up a 19-10 lead an force a King timeout.
- A block from Julian Young and Radek Bryja got the Tornado back on the board as they tried to make a run.
- It wasn't enough as the Ramblers took the set 25-14.
- The teams traded points early in the second set before back-to-back King points gave the Tornado a 6-5 lead.
- JT Deppe and Douglas Florencio teamed up for a block before Harris served up an ace.
- However, the Ramblers answered with six straight points to open up an 11-7 lead.
- King came back to pull within 18-13, but the Ramblers answered with four straight points and went on to take the set 25-17.
- The Ramblers jumped out a 9-4 lead before King called timeout.
- The King deficit grew to 13-6 before a Young kill ignited the offense.
- Kohlhase followed with a kill and Jack Sarnowski served up consecutive aces to pull King within 13-10 and force a Loyola Chicago timeout.
- King eventually evened the score at 17 before a block from King and Florencio put the Tornado ahead 18-17.
- Harris stretched the Tornado lead to 20-18 before the teams started to traded points before Harris came up with another kill to give the set to King, 25-22.
- The Tornado kept that momentum going in the fourth set, opening up an 11-7 lead following a Florencio ace and a Young block that forced a Rambler timeout.
- King continued to hold the advantage, taking a 15-13 lead before the Ramblers scored back-to-back points.
- Loyola Chicago took their first lead of the set at 17-16, but Kohlhase answered with a kill.
- The Ramblers then scored back-to-back points and outscored King 8-4 down the stretch to take the set 25-21 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kim led King with 16 kills while Kohlhase followed with nine kills and four digs.
- Harris added seven kills and five digs.
- Noah Melendez led the back row with eight digs while Florencio posted a team-high three blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Cole Schlothauer led Loyola Chicago with 17 kills and eight digs. He also hit .441 in the match.
- Deven Joslyn followed with 12 kills, five digs and four blocks.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King takes a set off of a ranked team for the second time in program history. The last time was in 2018 at sixth-ranked Loyola Chicago.
- King stays on the road to take on sixth-ranked Lewis University on Friday night. First serve is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. EST.
- Loyola Chicago hosts third-ranked BYU on Friday night.