BRISTOL, Tenn. – In front of nearly a sellout crowd, the King University men's volleyball team moved into a tie atop the Conference Carolinas standings with a win over Barton College on Friday night. The Tornado ended the Bulldogs' 14-match winning streak with the 3-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Barton 1 (25-23, 23-25, 25-18, 25-20)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 17-9, 13-2 Conference Carolinas; Barton 20-4, 13-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jon Wheaton and Joshua Kim posted back-to-back kills that gave King a 5-2 advantage in the early going.
- A 4-1 win capped by a block from Wheaton and Sean Kohlhase gave King an 11-6 lead and forced Barton timeout.
- The Tornado later led 15-8 before the Bulldogs went on a 7-0 run to even the set at 15.
- The teams then traded points before Kim gave King a chance a set point.
- Dalton Johnson and Suetonius Harris came up a block to give King the 25-23 victory.
- Barton opened a 9-5 lead in the second set before Johnson capped a 3-0 Tornado spurt with an ace.
- The teams traded points until Barton gained separation with a 4-0 run to take an 18-14 lead.
- The Tornado worked their way back and pulled within one at 23-22, but the Bulldogs scored two of the final three points to take the 25-23.
- King jumped ahead 4-1 with four straight points in the third set.
- King used a 6-2 spurt to open up a 17-11 lead and force a Bulldog timeout.
- Consecutive blocks from Johnson and Chandler Christy stretched the Tornado lead to 20-12 and Harris gave King the 25-18 victory with a kill.
- Three straight points, capped by a Kim kill gave King an early 9-6 lead in the fourth set.
- Barton worked their way back, however, and took a 17-16 lead before King went on a run.
- With the score even at 19, King rolled off five straight points to have a chance a match point.
- The Bulldogs held off one match point, but Kim gave King the 25-20, and 3-1 victories with a kill.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase and Kim paced the King offense with 15 kills apiece. Kohlhase hit .394 and added seven digs and four blocks while Kim hit .462 and added five digs and two blocks.
- Harris followed with nine kills and six digs.
- Johnson added seven kills and six blocks.
- Christy posted 43 assists, eight digs and three blocks while Wheaton added four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Vasilis Mandilaris led Barton with 17 kills and Angelos Mandilaris accounted for 16 kills and five digs.
- Adrian Iglesias chipped in with 11 kills and six digs.
- Oscar Fiorentino posted 47 assists and five digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King posted 10.0 blocks in the match, marking their fifth straight match with at least 10 stuffs.
- King moves into a first place tie with the Bulldogs in the Conference Carolinas standings with one match today.
- With a win on Saturday, the Tornado will claim a share of their third straight Conference Carolinas regular season title.
- King hosts the University of Mount Olive on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Saturday is also senior day for the Tornado.
- Barton travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday.