BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team avenged an early season defeat in emphatic fashion on Friday night in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado swept Erskine College behind 11 blocks, seven coming from Dalton Johnson.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Erskine (25-16, 25-21, 25-19)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-9, 9-2 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 5-17, 3-10 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sean Kohlhase started a 9-0 Tornado run with a kill early in the first set as King took a commanding 14-4 lead.
- A block from Jon Wheaton and Suetonius Harris, followed by a stuff from Wheaton and Joshua Kim gave King a 19-9 lead and forced an Erskine timeout.
- Erskine tried to work their way back, but consecutive kills from Harris and Kohlhase gave King the opening set 25-16 set.
- King used a 5-2 spurt in the second set to open up a 9-5 lead and force a Flying Fleet timeout.
- Erskine came back and pulled within 11-10, but Kim responded with a kill and a block from Johnson and Kim gave King a 14-10 lead.
- The Tornado lead grew to as many as six at 20-14 as King went on to take the set 25-21 on a block from Johnson and JT Deppe.
- The Tornado trailed 10-7 before a block from Wheaton and Kohlhase got the Tornado going.
- That sparked a 5-0 run that vaulted the Tornado into a 12-10 lead following a Kim kill.
- Three straight kills from Kohlhase, and two from Johnson gave King a 16-13 advantage and forced a Flying Fleet timeout.
- King gained control of the set with a 5-0 spurt, taking the set 25-19 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase posted 15 kills and four digs.
- Johnson followed with eight kills and a team-high seven blocks.
- Kim added six kills and nine digs.
- Chandler Christy handed out 21 assists to go along with three blocks while Deppe posted 15 assists and three blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Josh Arrowood and Griffin Spence both recorded seven kills for Erskine.
- Marc McArthur handed out 24 assists and Hector Collazo posted 14 digs.
- King takes on Emmanuel College on Saturday. First serve from the Student Center Complex is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Erskine travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.