CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University men's swimming team had a solid first day at the Conference Carolinas Swimming Championships. The Tornado are in third place and set three school records on Thursday.
KING RESULTS: 3rd of 6
LOCATION: Mecklenburg Municipal Pool; Charlotte, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED – FRIDAY
- Jan Kuljak set the school record in the 1000 yard freestyle with a time of 9:41.27, giving him a third place finish.
- In the 50 yard backstroke, Maximillian Thomas set the school record with a time of 24.31 seconds.
- The 200 yard medley relay team of Thomas, Jabari Ramsey, Dale Bruce and Haakon Meyer set the school record with a time of 1:34.74 to take third.
- Three personal records fell in the 200 yard individual medley, starting with Bruce who finished fourth in 1:54.84.
- Drew Snider finished in 1:57.50 and Efren Martinez came in at 2:07.56. Austin Bynum finished in 2:16.57.
- Thomas posted a personal best in the 50 yard freestyle taking eighth in 21.40. In the prelims he swam 21.39.
"Great first day of racing for King Swimming with six team records and multiple lifetime bests," head coach James Graves said. "Conference Carolinas has a great spirit of competition and all the teams here are having a blast. This is a long meet and will be a great test for our team both mentally and physically. We will have to continue to show up with focus and team comradery to bring out the best in each other. I'm looking forward to some more great races tomorrow with the 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 free, 4x50 and 4x100 medley relays. Go Tornado!"
- The championships continue through Sunday with the prelims at 10:00 a.m. and the finals at 7:00 p.m.