DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University men's soccer team took the lead early on Saturday at Erskine College. However, the Flying Fleet scored late in the first half to even the score, before netting two goals in the second half to take the match 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: Erskine 3, King 1
LOCATION: Huggins Field; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 4-9-1, 3-5 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 7-7-1, 6-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening 45 minutes was nearly a defensive stalemate as both teams only allowed three shots in the frame.
- All three of Erskine's shots were on target as Cameron Horsfall came up with a pair of saves.
- Two of the shots for King were on frame and one found the back of the net.
- Ben Delisle gave King the lead when he took a pass from Lucas Lavender in the 15th minute and buried his shot into the back of the net.
- Lavender followed with a shot on target in the 20th minute, but it was saved by the Erskine goalkeeper.
- Erskine that had a flurry in the 38th minute as Horsfall came up with a save on the first attempt, but the Vincent Stulec tapped the rebound into the back of the net to even the score at one.
- The score remained the same until the 47th minute when Kacper Zac placed a corner kick into the box that Vincente Belloso tapped into the lower center of the goal to give Erskine the 2-1 lead.
- The Erskine offense struck again in the 55th minute on another corner kick. This time Zac found Matt Perry in the front of the net, giving Erskine a 3-1 lead.
- Delisle had a chance in the 71st minute, but his shot was turned away, and Zubair Taylor ripped a free kick that sail just high in the 72nd minute.
- The Tornado couldn't create any more chances as Erskine took the contest 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took six shots in the contest, placing three on frame.
- The Tornado earned two corner kicks.
- Horsfall made three saves.
FOR THE FOES
- The Flying Fleet took nine shots, six on goal and earned five corner kicks.
- Alex Pico made two saves.
- King closes the regular season on Monday when they take on Limestone College at 3:00 p.m.
- Erskine plays Southern Wesleyan University on Monday.