BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team came away with a well-earned win over rival Lees-McRae College on Wednesday night. Carlos Saavedra scored early and Ben Delisle netted the game-winner in the 67th minute to give the Tornado the 2-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Lees-McRae 1
LOCATION: Stone Castle; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-8-1, 3-4 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 3-8-2, 3-4-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was played conservatively with the Tornado taking four shots, two on goal while the Bobcats placed two of their five shots on frame.
- Both of Lees-McRae's shot on goal came in the opening 10 minutes and Cameron Horsfall came up with saves on both occasions.
- Saavedra came away with the first opportunity for the Tornado in the 22nd minute when he had a free kick outside the box on the left side.
- He placed his kick in the upper right 90 out of the reach of the goalkeeper to put the Tornado ahead 1-0.
- The score remained the same until the second half when Eduardo Olavide found the back of the net off of a loose ball in the 63rd minute.
- It didn't take the Tornado long to regain the lead and Andrew Rhoda played a ball over the Lees-McRae defense.
- Delisle ran onto the ball and placed his shot into the middle of the goal, putting the Tornado ahead 2-1 in the 67th minute.
- Horsfall then came up with one more save to preserve the 2-1 Tornado victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took 14 shots in the game, placing six on frame. The Tornado also earned three corner kicks in the contest.
- Horsfall made three saves in the win.
FOR THE FOES
- Lees-McRae took 13 shots, placing four on goal and earned five corner kicks.
- King travels to Erskine College on Saturday. Kickoff from Due West, S.C. is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
- Lees-McRae hosts Barton College on Saturday.