TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University men's soccer team grabbed the lead in the first five minutes at North Greenville University on Wednesday night. However, the Crusaders scored two goals in the first half, and added two more in the second half to take the contest 4-2.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 4, King 2
LOCATION: Pepsi Stadium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 1-7-1, 0-3 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 2-9, 2-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It didn't take long for the Tornado to get on the board as Zubair Taylor played a ball over the Crusader defense.
- Ben Delisle ran onto the ball and beat the Crusader goalkeeper to the lower-left corner, giving King a 1-0 lead in the fifth minute.
- North Greenville countered with a pair of shots in the 10th minute, one was turned away by goalkeeper Cameron Horsfall.
- The Crusaders evened the tally in the 31st minute on a goal from Ben Mackay on a shot from the top of the box.
- North Greenville then took the lead with Mitchell Backer scored from the middle of the box in the 40th minute.
- King had a pair of shots in the final three minutes, but to no avail, as the Crusaders led 2-1 at halftime.
- Four minutes into the second half, North Greenville extended their lead to 3-1 with a goal from Gareth Greene.
- King then four shots over the next 15 minutes before the Tornado pressure paid off in the 67th minute.
- Delisle pulled King within 3-2 with a penalty kick goal.
- However, the Crusaders extended their lead back to 4-2 when Mackay scored in the 73rd minute.
- King took two shots in the final five minutes, neither was on target as the Tornado fell 4-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took 15 shots in the contest, three on target.
- The Tornado also earned three corner kicks.
- Horsfall made three saves in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- North Greenville took 13 shots in the game, six of which were on target.
- The Crusaders also earned three corner kicks.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Delisle posted his second game with two goals this season and his fourth career multi-goal game.
- King returns home on Saturday to take on Chowan University. Kickoff from Parks Field is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
- North Greenville travels to the University of Mount Olive on Saturday.