MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University men's basketball team found a way to win another Conference Carolinas road game on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado used a late 15-0 run to defeat the University of Mount Olive 99-90 behind another 43-point night from Jordan Floyd.
FINAL: King 99, Mount Olive 90
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 18-5, 12-3 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 14-10, 8-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- James Brown got the Tornado out to a hot start, scoring the first four points, but the Trojans came back with five straight points.
- The Tornado held a 12-8 lead when Mount Olive scored 10 straight points to take an 18-12 lead midway through the opening half.
- Mount Olive didn't slow down, opening up a 42-28 lead with 3:36 remaining in the first half, before a foul keyed the media timeout.
- Out of the break, Justin Frazier made a pair of free throws to start at 15-6 King run to close the half.
- Over the final two minutes, King outscored Mount Olive 8-2 as a Blake Atwood triple in the final minute cut the King deficit to 48-43 at the break.
- The Trojans came out and stretched the lead back to nine points before Salomon drilled a triple and Brown made a layup to pull King within 54-50.
- Again trailing by nine, King rolled off eight straight points, all from Floyd, pulling the Tornado within 61-60 with 12 minutes remaining.
- Mount Olive extended their lead back to 75-66, but the Tornado chipped away before going on a run.
- Trailing 80-75, back-to-back layups from Brown and Brandon Lamberth pulled King within one before Floyd made a layup and three-point basket.
- Floyd then made consecutive triples, vaulting King into a 90-80 lead with 2:31 remaining following the 15-0 run.
- King then closed out the 99-90 win at the free throw line over the final two minutes.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd led the Tornado with 43 points, nine rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Brown added 18 points and seven rebounds.
- Frazier chipped in with 13 points and Salomon added eight points and 11 rebounds.
- The Tornado shot 56.1 percent from the floor and 45.5 percent from three-point range.
FOR THE FOES
- Darius Spragley led Mount Olive with 20 points and seven rebounds.
- Alan Treakle followed with 18 points off the bench while Jonathan Mebane added 17 points.
- Matthias Caver chipped in with 10 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd now has six games with at least 40 points and has scored exactly 43 points, the King school record, four times this season.
- In the last three games, Floyd has scored 42, 43 and 43 points.
- Floyd also set the school record for points in a season, he now has 718 points this season. He passed Mark Dockery who scored 684 points in 2010-11.
- He is now fifth on the all-time scoring list with 1,662 career points.
- Floyd's nine rebounds were also a career-high.
- Salomon is now two points shy of 1,000 in his career as he has 998 career points.
- King has now won eight straight games, their longest winning streak since winning 10 straight during the 2015-16 season.
- King travels to Emmanuel College on Wednesday night. Tipoff from Franklin Springs, Ga. is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Mount Olive travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday.