BRISTOL, Tenn. – Conference games are always tough to win, and the King University men's basketball team found a way to defeat a tough Barton College squad on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado trailed by as many as 13 points, but fought back and used a run late in the second half to take the contest 93-87.
FINAL: King 93, Barton 87
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 16-5, 10-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 8-13, 6-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado struggled from the floor in the first half, shooting only 31.4 percent.
- That was countered by a Barton offense that shot well, posting a 51.6 field goal percentage.
- King held a 10-6 lead before Barton scored 11 straight points to take a 17-10 advantage midway through the first half.
- The Tornado came back and pulled within 25-21, but the Bulldogs scored seven straight points, extending their lead back to double figures.
- Barton gained their largest lead of the game at 36-23 with three minutes remaining as the teams traded baskets down the stretch.
- Following a Jordan Floyd triple in the waning seconds, Barton answered with a basket to beat the buzzer and take a 44-32 lead at the break.
- The Tornado offense heated up in the second half, shooting 53.3 percent while holding the Bulldogs to a 47.1 field goal percentage.
- King tried to get a run going early in the second half, but Barton answered each time.
- Trailing 68-58, Floyd ignited the Tornado offense with a triple before Josh Releford connected on back-to-back trifectas, cutting the King deficit to 68-67.
- King eventually evened the tally at 72 on a pair of Damion Ottman free throws on the 14-4 Tornado run.
- Floyd then gave King a 75-74 lead with a triple on the next possession with four minutes remaining.
- Floyd again drilled a triple on the next Tornado possession before a pair of Justin Frazier free throws gave King an 80-76 lead with three minutes remaining.
- With one minute remaining, Frazier came up with a big triple with an assist to Floyd, giving King an 86-80 lead.
- King held an 88-84 lead with 17 seconds remaining when Floyd came out of nowhere to turn away a Barton shot.
- From there, King closed out the 93-87 win at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd tallied 42 points, four steals and three blocks.
- Frazier followed with 15 points while Releford added 12 points and five rebounds off the bench.
- James Brown added 11 points and nine rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Isaiah Reddish led Barton with 26 points and 14 rebounds.
- Blake Burdack followed with 16 points and nine rebounds.
- Michael Boykin added 14 points and Jeff Gordon chipped in with 10 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd, the NCAA Division II scoring leader, posted his fourth 40-point outburst this season.
- It was also his 12th 30-point game this season.
- King travels to Erskine College on Wednesday night with tipoff from Due West, S.C. scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Barton travels to the University of Mount Olive on Wednesday night.