BRISTOL, Tenn. – Jordan Floyd had a career night for the King University men's basketball team as they edged the University of Mount Olive on Saturday in the Student Center Complex. Floyd set school records with 43 points and 18 field goals in the 76-74 Tornado victory.
FINAL: King 76, Mount Olive 74
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-4, 5-2 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 8-7, 2-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half went back-and-forth as the teams traded the lead six times, and the score was tied five times.
- Floyd got off to a hot start with a triple on King's opening possession.
- With King trailing 14-12, Floyd drilled another trifecta to start an 11-0 Tornado run.
- Mike Salomon made a pair of free throws to five King their largest lead of the game at 23-14 with 11 minutes remaining in the first half.
- However, Mount Olive started to chip away at the deficit, using a 7-0 spurt to pull within 25-24 with seven minutes remaining in the half.
- Floyd responded with a bucket to get the Tornado back on the scoreboard.
- The Trojan run continued as they took a 32-29 lead and led 34-32 before King closed the half on a run.
- Following a Floyd basket, Damion Ottman made a pair of free throws before Floyd closed the half with a triple to give King a 39-34 lead at the break.
- King tried to pull away in the second half as James Brown started a 7-0 Tornado run with a jump shot.
- Brandon Lamberth capped the spurt with a layup, giving King a 55-47 lead with 12 minutes remaining.
- King again led by eight, 73-65 following a Floyd triple with 3:28 remaining, but Mount Olive went on one last run. That triple tied the school record for Floyd.
- The Trojans scored six consecutive points, pulling within 73-71 with 43 seconds remaining.
- A pair of Justin Frazier free throws following a Mount Olive turnover gave King a 75-71 lead in the final 10 seconds.
- Floyd was fouled with one second remaining and he made the first, giving him the school record.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd poured in a school-record 43 points on 18-for-27 shooting from the floor, including 5-for-9 from three-point range.
- Brown followed with 10 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- Frazier handed out five assists and snared seven rebounds.
- Salomon scored five points and grabbed nine rebounds while Ottman accounted for seven points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Michael Brown led five Mount Olive scorers in double figures with 14 points.
- Johnny Hughes III added 12 points and nine rebounds while Calvin Washington scored 12 points off the bench.
- Darius Spragley and Jonathan Mebane chipped in with 11 points apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd's 43 points breaks the old school record of 42 points set by Bill Burnett in 1967-68.
- Floyd's 18 field goals breaks Randy Poole's previous record of 17 set against Bluefield College in 1974-75.
- Floyd now has eight 30-point outbursts this season and two games with at least 40 points.
- King travels to Chowan on Saturday. Tipoff from Murfreesboro, N.C. is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive returns to action on Wednesday when they host Chowan.