CENTRAL, S.C. – Early in the Conference Carolinas schedule, the King University men's basketball team already avenged a defeat last month to Southern Wesleyan University. The Tornado posted their best shooting performance of the season to take the 90-77 road victory.
FINAL: King 90, Southern Wesleyan 77
LOCATION: Tysinger Gymnasium; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 9-4, 4-2 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 7-7, 3-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jordan Floyd got off to a hot start for the Tornado, drilling a triple in the opening minute as King jumped out to a 5-2 lead.
- Floyd then drilled back-to-back triples before a Brandon Lamberth layup gave King a 13-4 lead five minutes and forced a Warrior timeout.
- James Brown later capped a 7-0 spurt with a trifecta, giving King their largest lead of the half at 33-20 with five minutes remaining until halftime.
- Southern Wesleyan cut into their deficit, but King led 41-33 at the break after shooting 53.1 percent from the floor and holding Southern Wesleyan to a 32.4 field goal percentage.
- The Warriors cut their deficit to seven with a triple in the opening two minutes, but Mike Salomon came back with a trifecta of his own to stretch the King lead back to 46-36.
- Six straight Tornado points, capped by a Salomon basket extended the King advantage to 55-38 with 16 minutes remaining.
- The Warriors were able to pull within 10, but King came back and extended their lead, eventually taking their largest advantage of the game at 73-55 following a Brown layup with six minutes remaining.
- From there the Tornado traded baskets with the Warriors to take the contest 90-77.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado posted their best shooting percentage of the season at 58.7 percent.
- Floyd led King with 36 points, shooting 5-for-9 from three-point range.
- Salomon followed with 17 points while Brown and Lamberth added 11 points each.
- Damion Ottman snared a team-high 11 rebounds and scored seven points.
FOR THE FOES
- Ta'Jay Dunlap scored 31 points while Cameron Holmes followed with 14 points and nine rebounds.
- Trenard Ferrell chipped in with 10 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd posts his seventh 30-point performance of the season.
- Salomon scored a season-high 17 points.
- The 58.7 field goal percentage was the fourth time this season King has shot at least 50.0 percent in a game.
- King returns home to face the University of Mount Olive on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to North Greenville University on Wednesday.