BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball team squared off against another one of the Southeast Region's top teams on Wednesday night in Southern Wesleyan University. The Tornado held a halftime lead, but the Warriors came back in the second half to take the contest 79-73.
FINAL SCORE: Southern Wesleyan 79, King 73
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-3, 1-2 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 6-3, 3-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King had the upper hand in the first half, shooting 53.8 percent from the floor while holding the Warriors to a 38.2 field goal percentage.
- King took an 11-7 lead following a 9-2 spurt that was started by Damion Ottman.
- The teams then traded blows as the score was even at 22 before the Tornado made their move.
- Josh Releford started a 7-0 spurt with a bucket before James Brown gave King a 29-22 lead with a triple.
- The Warriors fought back to get within 33-32, but Brown and Releford connected on consecutive triples, each assisted by the other to extend the King lead.
- Southern Wesleyan scored the final basket of the half, but King led 39-34 at the break.
- Southern Wesleyan scored the first 11 points of the second half to take a 46-42 lead before Mike Salomon drilled a pair of free throws.
- The Tornado kept the score close and regained a 53-52 lead on a Releford bucket.
- Releford then broke a tie, giving the Tornado a 56-53 lead with a trifecta.
- Justin Frazier gave King their largest lead of the second half at 60-55 with a triple.
- However, Southern Wesleyan came back with a 10-1 to take a 65-61 advantage with 4:40 remaining.
- A Brown triple pulled King back within one, but the Warriors came back and regained a four-point advantage with a three-point play.
- King came back to get within two on two occasions, but each time the Warriors answered each time as they took the contest 79-73
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Jordan Floyd led King with 18 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
- Brown followed with 16 points and Releford chipped in with 12 points and five assists.
- Salomon added nine points and nine rebounds while Ottman accounted for seven points and 13 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Jalen Lowery led Southern Wesleyan with 16 points while Clenzo Ross added 15 points and seven rebounds.
- Cameron Holmes accounted for 13 points while Solomon Smith chipped in with 12 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 13 rebounds for Ottman sets a career-high. His previous career-high of 10 came against Lee University earlier this year.
- King takes to the road to take on Barton College on Saturday at 4:00 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to Limestone College on Saturday afternoon.