BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball squared off against Conference Carolinas-leading Emmanuel College on Wednesday night in the Student Center Complex. The Lions grabbed the lead early and didn't look back, taking the 80-56 victory.
FINAL: Emmanuel 80, King 56
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-11, 4-8 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 19-7, 12-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lion defense stifled the King offense early as Emmanuel scored the first six points of the contest and opened up an 8-1 lead in the opening four minutes.
- Justin Frazier drilled back-to-back triples that pulled King within 10-7, but Emmanuel answered with four quick points.
- A Mike Salomon triple midway through the opening period pulled King within 22-20, but Emmanuel quickly answered with a triple and extended their lead to 28-20 with six quick points.
- The Lions closed the half on an 8-0 run, extending their lead to 42-28 at the break.
- Emmanuel scored the first five points of the second half, extending their advantage to 47-28.
- King cut their deficit to 54-42 on a Jordan Young dunk midway through the second period, but couldn't get any closer the rest of the way.
- Emmanuel held a 20-point lead for the final 10 minutes, taking the contest 80-56.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- James Brown and Young led King with 14 points each. Young added five rebounds.
- Salmon chipped in with 11 points.
FOR THE FOES
- The Lion defense held King to a 37.7 field goal percentage while Emmanuel shot 51.6 percent from the floor.
- Brandon Simpson led Emmanuel with 10 points while Kendrick Colvin added 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Kyler Ingram added 12 points and Mikel Tyson chipped in with 11 points.
- King returns to the Student Center Complex floor on Saturday when they take on Limestone College at 4:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel hosts the University of Mount Olive on Saturday.