FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – For the second time in as many weeks, the King University men's basketball team had a chance to take down a Conference Carolinas leading team, and give them their first league defeat. The Tornado erased a 17-point deficit in the second half at Emmanuel College, but the Lions converted a late three-point play to take the contest 84-83.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 84, King 83
LOCATION: Williams Arena; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 10-9, 3-6 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 17-6, 10-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jordan Young got off to a hot start for the Tornado, scoring six of the King's first 10 points.
- However, the Lions kept pace with the Tornado and used a 7-0 run to gain a 17-13 lead.
- James Brown later gave King a 27-23, capping a 7-0 King spurt with a three-point play.
- King led 29-28 before Emmanuel went on a run, scoring 12 straight points, vaulting the Lions into a 40-29 lead with four minutes remaining until halftime.
- The Tornado fought back, however, scoring nine of the next 10 points, starting with a Justin Frazier three-point play.
- Brown pulled King within 41-38 with a layup in the final minute, but the Lions made a three-point basket in the waning second to take a 44-38 lead at halftime.
- Emmanuel scored 10 straight points early in the second half, opening up a 59-47 lead.
- The Tornado deficit grew to as many as 17 at 69-52 with 11 minutes remaining, but Brown tried to get the offense going with a three-point basket.
- Frazier cut the King deficit to 69-60 with a triple, capping an 8-0 run.
- Following a Lion bucket, the Tornado rolled off 10 straight points to pull within in 71-70 with six minutes remaining.
- Isaiah Curry evened the score at 74 with a layup and Brown put the Tornado ahead 76-74 with a dunk.
- In all, the Tornado went on a 24-5 run that resulted in the lead.
- King led by four twice down the stretch, the second time at 81-77, but the Lions didn't go away.
- Trailing by two, Austin Greene traveled the length of the floor and made a layup and was fouled with 12 seconds remaining.
- He converted the free throw, giving the Lions the 84-83 lead.
- The Tornado had a chance to win the game in the waning seconds, but the shot was off the mark.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brown led King with 33 points, going 11-for-22 from the floor and 6-for-11 from long range.
- Young followed with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
- Frazier chipped in with 12 points and 10 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Kendrick Colvin led four Emmanuel scorers in double figures with 16 points. He added eight rebounds and four assists.
- Greene followed with 13 points while Nathan Williams accounted for 12 points.
- Kyler Ingram chipped in with 11 points and six rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 33 points for Brown marks a career-high, besting his previous high of 31.
- Young also set a career-high with 17 points.
- The double-double for Young was his fourth of the season, all coming in the last five games.
- Frazier's 10 assists are a career-best, topping his previous high of nine set on Monday.
- The double-double for Frazier is also the first of his career.
- The Tornado return home on Thursday when they host North Greenville University at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Emmanuel travels to Erskine College on Tuesday night.