ETTRICK, Va. – The King University men's basketball team traveled to nonconference foe Virginia State University in a rematch of a one-point contest earlier in the season. The Tornado held a lead at the half, but the Trojans had a big second half to take the contest 83-72.
FINAL SCORE: Virginia State 83, King 72
LOCATION: VSU Multipurpose Center, Ettrick, Va.
RECORDS: King 8-5, Virginia State 10-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a 9-0 run to gain a little separation in the opening half as Justin Frazier drilled a triple that put the Tornado ahead 15-7.
- However, the Trojans came back with eight straight points, evening the score at 15 before Tyre Moore Jr. connected from long range.
- That triple kick-started a 10-0 King run that was capped by a pair of Kalen Clifton free throws, giving King a 25-15 advantage.
- Virginia State chipped away at their deficit and cut their deficit to one at 30-29 with three minutes remaining until halftime.
- King answered with five straight points, capped by an Isaiah Curry layup.
- The teams traded baskets down the stretch, but King held a 39-36 advantage at the break.
- King used an 8-0 run in the early part of the second half to take a 50-39 lead following a Frazier three-point basket.
- However, the Trojans responded with 13 straight points as Virginia State took a slim 52-50 lead before James Brown converted an old-fashioned three-point play to give the lead back to King.
- Virginia State went on another run, scoring 15 of the next 17 points to open up a 67-55 lead with six minutes remaining.
- King cut their deficit 68-61 following a Clifton layup, but the Tornado couldn't get any closer as the Trojans stretched their lead back to double digits en route to the 83-72 victory.
- Virginia State shot 53.6 percent in the second half while holding King to a 33.3 field goal percentage in the second 20 minutes.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brown led King with 31 points, going 10-for-15 from the floor and 9-for-11 from the free throw line.
- Clifton followed with 17 points and Frazier chipped in with nine points.
FOR THE FOES
- Cyonte Melvin led Virginia State with 16 points and six rebounds.
- William Vedder followed with 14 points and six rebounds while Brandon Holley chipped in with 12 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 31 points for Brown mark a career-high. His previous career-high was 20 points, coming on December 8 at Erskine College.
- King is in action again on Tuesday when they travel to Barton College. Tipoff from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Virginia State travels to Winston-Salem State University on Thursday.